MX5 newbie: advice about first purchase

Dear MXfivians,

Always wanted an MX5 but our household never had any good reason to get a second car. Changes in work mean I now need to do 2 weekly commutes of 50 miles (motorway) each-way.

So I am looking for a reliable workhorse (that also happens to be a cool MX) – nothing flashy, just a well-maintained one.

I have a budget of £10k.

-Does this figure sound reasonable for a reliable one that is not going to require a massive maintenance budget?
-What is the oldest/highest mileage would you consider to get a reasonably trouble-free one?
-Any models/options that are better avoided if reliability is key?

Thanks for your help.

£10k is a good budget for a lovely mx5. Which mk are you thinking? Mk3 a little longer in size than the rest and better for the taller person. Want a classic 1.6 or a modern 1.8 or 2.0l. I’d say mk3 and lower with that budget and you can demand a low mileage car for that price and anything up to about 2014 at a steal!

I’ve got a lovely mk1 for sale! :wink:

Happy hunting.

Ant

Oh and welcome!

I think buying an up to 2014 low mileage NC is a little ambitious with £10k.
It’ll probably get you an up to 2011-12 for that money. 2 litre cars command more money so do the PRHT models, special additions again push that price higher.
Dealer cars add a little more on (in some cases a huge chunk more) such is the market good cars right now.

Look in the sales section on the this forum, a few are beginning to pop up now as we are getting towards Autumn…

1 Like

Obviously depends on your bartering skills! :joy:

1 Like

How the car has been maintained is probably more important than the mileage. Mechanicals are pretty bombproof but the MX5 has poor protection against rust. I would look for only one or two previous owners who kept the MX5 garaged, serviced and generally pampered, ideally with a full history.

1 Like

Fab info, thanks. Did not know that MX5 changed size, so, at 5’.11 MK3 sounds like the right one for me.

Also, good advice was “beware the rust, not so much the mileage”

My racing days are well gone, so a 1.6 will do me - until such date i start to lust for a bigger one!

Thanks, this narrows it down. Picture gets clearer: an entry model, 2012, mileage not so important, but well-maintained and garaged. I feel I get an better picture now. Thank for the tip.

Again, fab piece of advice, thx. It really helps narrow the scope. Will start trawling this site to see what comes up

I fit in my 2.5 and I’m 6’3" so may depend on body proportions.

From my experience buying an NC, SE models and particularly 1.8s are significantly cheaper than Sport 2.0.

For 10k you may well be able to get into 2012/13 1.8SE on a fairly low mileage.

I guess you also have to choose between a soft top and retractable hardtop.

Probably want the latter for motorway commuting but other opinions may differ

Maybe worth looking at Mazda approved used, I was quite surprised there are some NCs back to 2009 on there.

Yet another post where all those who tried to assist…will perhaps never know if they did any good.
Such a pity. Such are People. Such is Life.

2 Likes

Well all the advice I read here is definitely helping me. My 4 month quest for an older NC 2.0 Sport that isn’t too rusty continues - I check the forum everyday along with Autocar and Facebook (
even ebay but that really is a mine field!) - the information I have picked up here on this forum is 1st class - thanks to those who post - it is appreciated.

3 Likes

Thanks. I have finally tried a Mk3, and the headroom is not enormous, but it does not feel to cramped.

1 Like

That’s a good piece of advice. Was focused on the 2 litres, but come to think of it, I am not sure that makes such a big difference on a day to day basis. Thanks

I think they will. Unless i missed someone, I believe I answered every input as the question originator. kind regards.

Here is a great car from a club member over on the ‘for sale’ section

Cor, this is really neat. Must follow up on this. Thanks for pointing it out