MX5 Owners Club Anniversary Watch

In Case you are not a FaceBooker (Richard W) and have missed this the club has announced a limited edition anniversary watch which is available from the club store.

There are only 100 pieces in total and when I checked this morning just 40 were left.

Didn’t want any of you to miss out who might like one.

Be quick.

Kevin

https://store.mx5oc.co.uk/mx-5-owners-club-anniversary-watch-3881-p.asp

Genuine question?

1994 to 2019?

Why not 1989? The first version was launched at the Chicago Auto Show on February 10, 1989?

I suspect they would all be gone by now had they been refective of 30 years in actual existance.

Just seems odd…but I concede there will be a clever marketing reason I’m oblivious to.Undecided

Even though I’m a lapsed member, I’d order not one but two today had they been 30 years.

Its a celebration of 25 Years of the Owners Club not the car.

I would say that Mazda would have to do one if it was the car and they have built us a very nice car to celebrate the 30 Years.

Ah!

That’s clarified it.

Thanks. 

I blew up the back-plate just enough to spot “Club”.

Hmm, a Sekonda though. Sekonda was an invented brand, originally Russian watches with a brand to vaguely sound Japanese. I had one, the hands fell off. Also got given one by Mazda after attending their NC focus group. It was shocking. Broke years ago. These days, Sekondas are Chinese made. I suppose this is a quartz movement, not automatic/mechanical. Wasn’t the 10AE watch a Seiko?

Yes as you have shown they were Seiko but you did have to buy a car to get them and as an Owners club its probably a bit beyond our budget.

Take it for what it is, Its a nice looking very collectable watch and less face it things have improved manufacturing wise so it may even last another 25 years.

Its not to everyones taste but you can’t please all the people all of the time.

For me its a job well done by the Owners club and I have made sure I have one in my collection.

That’s the sort of thing I was hoping Mazda were going to give to we 30AE buyers!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2415/3299/products/1653_STRAIGHT_4472x4472.jpg

Suggest if collecting, number one job is to remove the battery before storage.

Thanks Kev.  I’d love one but sadly my unfeasibly skinny arm simply wouldn’t do it justice.  Have been shunned and rejected by tattooists the length and breadth of East Anglia for the same reason!

Richard W

Good tip, many thanks

Kevin

I thought you would have bought one to stand beside that lovely trophy of yours.

Only 20 left this morning 

Kevin

You’re right Kevin - I must have one and have just placed an order.  Thanks for the heads up.  I could always wear it on the ankle now that it’s fashionable to go sockless!

Richard W

Sekonda is a British brand formed in 1966 to import rebranded Russian made watches from a number of factories. Following the breakup of the Soviet Union the company no longer has ties with Russia and since 1993 all their watches are produced in Hong Kong factories.

While I don’t know everything I do know how to look on Wikipedia.

Nice one Richard, I didn’t think you would be able to resist access to this very exclusive club.

Just 9 left this morning and I am sure we will have a few in the Norfolk Fives.

Fingers crossed for Saturday, I have managed to get a ticket so looking forward to the first home game.

Kevin

Mine arrived today (58/100) and as I shall be keeping it as a memento I’ll need to remove the battery.  Has anyone done this without damaging the case, if so how, please do tell!  My daily watch and my “best” watch both have screw-in backs, this seems to have a push-on back.

PS: Yes, as I should have said before, “Thanks Iain”!

PPS: Another reason I shan’t be wearing it is that like Woody my wrist is just not big enough to do it justice.

Mine arrived this morning 21/100, thanks Iain
I am going to use it for ‘best’, I plan to leave the battery in it, and get a new battery fitted professionally promptly when it stops.

Oh, Limited editions can be quite a catch for any collector, especially with only 100 pieces made.

The blue color and the metal band make it look fancy and modern. It kind of reminds me of those expensive Omega watches, like the Seamaster, because of the color and the design around the edge. The numbers and the way it’s set up look really classy too.

But honestly, Sekonda isn’t the best when it comes to quality. They’re pretty cheap and you kind of get what you pay for, which isn’t much.

Moderator - Edited because of suspect links.