MX5 Parts Shortage?

I have noticed that many parts on the MX5parts website are out of stock. Having just purchased my car, is this usual as restocks take time to get to the UK from Japan or is this a new trend and parts are gradually not becoming available? Anyone know?

Both are the case.

Aren’t MX5parts getting Mazda parts from Mazda Europe’s Belgium depot?

Who’s panic buying? :astonished::smile:

2 Likes

There have been delays with inward shipments for the past six weeks - a combination of extra traffic due to stocking for Christmas, preparing for the end of the transition period and the impact of Covid 19 on international trade. Many shipments from e.g. China and Japan have been diverted from UK ports to the continent. Some cargoes have only partly been unloaded in UK ports before ships have had to leave. Importers (like my son who imports games equipment from China) are in despair.

They have many Global suppliers.

2 Likes

Lots of things across all domains are in short supply. Factories across the world have been closed or operating with recuced staff. Logistics companies are flat out delivering things in greater numbers than normal as people are not going to the shops. Its a whole new level of chaos and its going to be months, if not years, to return to normal.

Actually, it will be a new normal as there will be permanent changes post COVID with some business models thing, others changing for good. Strange times.

But we seem to have an enormous amount of Christmas related stuff in the shops right now, from food to gifts, especially supermarkets. Some of the normal lines as always have been condensed to make room for it.

The Panasonic batteries I have brought from them are certainly EU spec, given the markings on them.

Many parts can be brought from Rock Auto, from the US, for the same price delivered as MX5parts, and pretty quick.

You are right on the timelines and projecting months and years of disruption
But it’s not just domestic stuff the international global supply chain is massively disrupted.

Everything is out of place, there is a huge shortage of containers and space on available ships at the moment with massive knock-ons from Covid (that’s before you start opening any Brexit issues) almost the entire supply of containers is out of place, with ships unable to load up means containers are not returning are stuck on docks or in customs.

Shipping availability is scarce and the costs are sky rocketing, so be prepared for many items to stay put until the situation starts to improve, but it’s going to take years to get things back to something resembling a normal supply chain

But it’s good to support MX5parts, the UK’s main stakeholder in MX-5 part supply and also a key Club partner, who’s help went a long way to making the forum you are now using and help to moderate, possible.

2 Likes

Most of Mazda’s parts are from Taiwan, China and Japan. All three countries are largely operating as normal. Taiwan was minimally affected. There were interuptions early on for air freight, now largely resolved. The elephant in the room is cross-channel shipping.

It is never as simple as that, the raw materials can come from all over. Or sub components. Certain items have been in short supply for months.

There is a pinchpoint in the channel now but there has been disruption with goods from e.g. China for the past six weeks, to my personal knowledge. Plants in China lost production because of Covid and have been trying to catch up but as others have said shipping lines are disrupted and in short supply with costs rising. I am aware of a container from China that was due to dock in Felixstowe six weeks ago (with games items such as table tennis tables) but was unable to do so, diverted to Southampton, was able to unload there because of limited dock space, was diverted again to Rotterdam, and was unloaded there only to be caught in congestion at Calais, arriving five weeks late. Not surprising that MXParts is facing supply problems especially from the Far East.

1 Like

I ordered a new ND gearknob, that’s 8 weeks delivery. Hopefully no price increase.

Stock is getting worse now, loads out of stock and been out of stock not only for weeks but literally months and the position is getting worse. Personally I think they must be going under and just selling off existing stock. I hope not but the signs are not very encouraging are they.

Work in a motor factors,availability is very poor at the moment .Stuff not coming from China then things stuck at docks and a lack of cargo containers all combined making things poor.

2 Likes