Mx5 Powershift

Hi all. Newbie here.

I’ve had manual boxed Mx5’s for the past 10 years.

Currently looking for a Mk3.5 Mx5 Roadster and noticed a few Powershift models. 

Anyone have any thoughts they might like to share on the auto box? Are they a good setup…smooth…seamless? Trying to demo one but none local to me at present.

All comments gratefully received

Only know of one car that had an owner that preferred automatics. He was happy with it’s operation but was very unhappy as it used some more not a lot say 2mpg fuel than the manual MX5 when “Mazda said it should use less”.

I pointed out that the figures produced by Mazda advised it used a bit more fuel than the manual.

At that point he said he would get rid of it “as all automatics use less petrol than manual cars”.

Therefore it would appear to be a good box with a small fuel consumption penalty.

Thanks for that…much appreciated. Not too fussed about a drop more fuel. Sounds marginal and we all drive in differing styles. I’m only tempted as the missus loves the auto box on my Lexus. So I found myself thinking why not on the Mx as well?
Maybe that’s why it’s higher on road tax for the auto.

Enjoy your car when you get it!

HiI’ve had our Powershift about two weeks and so far it’s been very pleasant to drive, my wife loves it… which is more than half the battle isn’t it? 

Petrol - Locally we’re averaging about 33mpg which is a bit painful but I’ve now changed the dash menu display to ‘temperature’ rather than ‘MPG’ and fill the tank whenever it needs petrol, thus eliminating a ‘worry gauge’ that you can do nothing about.

Gear selection - Good on the Auto mode but tends to run on when descending a hill, even when the cruise control is on, however you can flick the top steering wheel paddle into operation, thus putting the gearbox into manual mode, to decrease speed without braking… But this does not cut the cruise control off, so you can find yourself running into a bend too fast thinking the lower gear will decrease your speed, obviously it won’t although I’d prefer it should.  I’ve done this a couple of times as I’m used to a conventional auto box without CC, thank God the car’s so good on bends… I think I’ll keep the CC for motorways.

Comfort - Pretty good, love the retractable coupe roof but ensure the boot lid is fully shut or it won’t work. Prior to putting the lid up or down the windows get lowered a bit automatically but not raised afterwards, which can be irritating because I tend to remember as I’m walking out of the car park.  The folding roof can squeak/groan a bit, but I’ve read that’s curable-ish with a bit of silicon spray.

As an aside, the bits for the 3.5 seem to be extra pricey in comparison to the previous models… I’m looking for mudflaps which are about £90-odd a pair plus painting, the Mk1 and 2 seem to be about £30 less.

Thank you for a most informative reply. Very helpful to know all that.
I’d heard of the squeaky roof element but have not heard anything on test drives thus far. You can get similar sounds from conventional saloon cars and that is often cured with a wipe over of washing up liquid to act as a form of lubricant.
Hopefully the add-ons will drop in price over time. I had a set of mudflaps on my 2.5 and would like to repeat on the 3.5, when I get it.
Thanks again for taking the time…much appreciated.

Whereabouts are you? Godfreys at Horsham, West Sussex usually have a Powershift model in, and that’s where we got ours from.

A bit more on the gearbox -

On this model, as I’m sure you’re aware, you have a couple of manual options to change gear - the paddles and a sequential shift on the gear lever. Out of the two I’m more comfortable with the paddles but I’m trying to get used to either just in case.

The auto shifting is normally pretty good but can be a bit lumpy at take off when I occasionally get a bit of a surge (my wife puts it down to a heavy right foot) the paddles seem OK.

Best of luck with your search…

Don’t know about mx5 auto,but have tried cx5 auto and was not impressed .

Thanks chaps, all useful stuff.
Found one to have a go in at the weekend. I am familiar with paddles, have them on the auto box of my car. The Mx will be the wife’s car.
She really enjoys driving mine, which is why i’m looking at the powershift … thinking it should be just fine.
But I need a demo.

Tried out a couple of Powershifts over the weekend. Wife was quite taken with the whole concept and has given the nod to the auto box. Well, it is primarily a car I am buying for her, so she had to like it, or it meant staying with the manual box she’s known before.
Not bad at all…in fact rather enjoyable. Paddles worked just fine. Whole experience was most enjoyable. Really like the PRHT version. Slick and quick action.
All were near silent in operation.
No sign of any microblisters in the paint either, 1 Blue and 2 Silver.
Hope to source one in the next few weeks.

The Buying Advice post (Mk 3 Buyers Guide by Geoff Walton) at the head of this section is excellent and a most informative read.It’s quite reassuring going around the vehicle looking for those VIN stickers … and then finding a rear wing one missing, despite promises of the seller that have been no prangs or resprays.

Just have to remember to be patient for the right car now!!!

I’m sure you will get the right car

Well the patience proved worthwhile!!
Got one (private sale) … 2010 2.0 Powershift Roadster in Metallic Aluminium with nice low mileage and really beautiful condition. Virtually spotless.
Very pleased indeed.
It was presented very clean but I still spent the Sunday hoovering and cleaning her(!) for the wife… as you do!
Loving the PRHT … quick and quiet.
Took her out over the Bank Holiday weekend in the sun and it was just great. Liking the auto box and paddles very much.
Only dislike … it’s a bit of a faff sorting the phones and phone book out withe resident Bose stereo … but hey ho … only minor grumble I have to offer.

Just off on Hols now but I’ll put up some pics when we get back from France.