MX5 Sat Nav + Luggage Rack

Hi , 

I’m Adam and new to the forum.

I shall be buying an MX5 late next month and will require Sat Nav.

I would ideally prefer the Sat Nav to be integrated ( not keen on the portable ones ) into the console.

I realise that some later models i.e 2013 onwards may have Sat Nav already installed.

I have 2 queries that I would like help with … please - 

If I buy an MX5 without Sat Nav I understand that I could buy a Mazda Sat Nav and it could be fitted into the existing radio cd system unless its a Bose or Blue tooth , in which case , it rules out many vehicles - Is this true ?

I wish to buy an MX5 with powered hard top - Does the luggage rack on the Mazda accessories page fit the hard top MX5 or only the soft top version ? Any recommendations please.

Thank you much.

Adam.

Luggage rack is not supposed to be used with the PRHT.  Possibly you could reverse it (i.e. put the vertical stop bar at the rear) to give clearance but I can’t say I have tried it (not having a PRHT).

The Mazda sat-nav was initially problematic but seem to be okay now, the first system was TomTom based and I am quite happy with it, no idea on the latest Alpine unit although I understand there have been issues. Both units are non-bose so would not work in the Bose car without a lot of change.

There are aftermarket systems, I believe Kenwood uses the Garmin system.

The rack option on the folding hard top is possible, certainly a company in the Netherlands advertises an example on e-bay 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boot-luggage-rack-carrier-Mazda-MX5-NC-Roadster-Softtop-2006-2013-/261307013569?pt=UK_Car_Exterior_Accessories&hash=item3cd71c99c1

Adam

The standard stereo can be replaced with a 2din unit that incorporates GPS.

It needs a 2din fascia and cables to extend steering wheel functionality.

Search the MX5 forums and you will find reference and pics from people who have done this.

pjr,

your link seems to go to an advert that specifically says it is for “MAZDA MX5 NC Roadster softtop with fabric hood (model 2006-2013)”

The venture edition, from around March 2012, had SatNav.   You get a nice choice of colours and a rich brown leather interior.    Well worth looking at.

Some people have reported success in using a Boot Bag with the electric hardtop.

”your link seems to go to an advert that specifically says it is for “MAZDA MX5 NC Roadster softtop with fabric hood (model 2006-2013)”

The picture in the advert shows a PHRT and there is one available on their web site

“Some people have reported success in using a Boot Bag with the electric hardtop.”

Only if you don’t mind your high-level brake light being obscured!

Richard.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boot-luggage-rack-carrier-Mazda-MX5-NC-Coupe-hardtop-2006-2013-/261528848468?pt=UK_Car_Exterior_Accessories&hash=item3ce4558854

Sorry, looked at the picture and did not read the description, here is the correct one, picture and description tie up this time, same seller in the Netherlands.

Hi Adam,yes you can fit the Mazda chrome rack on an RC as i did on mine although you wont be able to put much on it as it wouldnt clear the roof when operating,although if positioned as far towards the rear of the boot lid it clears no problem

Regards

Stephen