MX5 won't unlock!

Has anyone else had this problem? The car had to be dragged out of the garage and taken to the dealer. The dealer could not unlock the car and is waiting for Mazda UK to advise how to gain access.

Nice.2015 car dragged away.

A daft answer but, have you changed the battery in the fob, with a good quality one, not one from the net?

Wouldn’t it even unlock using the mechanical key in the lock?

No, the mechanical keys wouldn’t work either. 

I guess they will have to break into it somehow!

If the electronic and mechanical key do not work it would suggest that the wrong keys are being used. Has someone swapped them as a joke?!

Do please let us all know what the explanation is as we are baffled as well.

What model is it?  A late registration NC or an early ND?

The keys haven’t been swapped. The car was new on 1/9/15 and I have been the only driver. 

The model is 1.5 131Ps Sport Nav

That has the smart “Advanced Keyless Entry” system doesn’t it?  I seem to remember members having problems with that system before.  Anyone else remember details?

Yes, my car has the Smart keyless entry system- not so smart. It appears to have the no entry system!

Now I’m not technical in any way, shape or form so please no sarcastic comments if my idea is wrong, but I wonder whether if, with the car locked and then the car’s battery going flat, that would result in a “fail/safe” lock-up?  Hopefully one of our experts will have the answer.

Sounds to me like electrical problems 

Would have thought that even with a flat battery the mechanical key would open it. Even if there is a deadlocking option this shouldn’t prevent the mechanical key from opening.

My best guess diagnosis is as follows.

There is a fault.

There, I’ve said it. Will just wait to see if I’m right.

As it’s now with the dealer there’s no real point in suggesting anything for the poor unhappy owner to try as he no longer has the car.

Sorry for your (temporary) loss.

Will be watching with great interest to see the outcome.

A friend with a Renault left her smart key in the car, closed the door and then tried to open the door again but it was locked. We picked her up and took her home to get the spare smart key.

Drove back to the car and when she walked up to the car with the spare smart key in her bag, the doors unlocked.

She took the car to the Renault dealer who informed her that it could not have happen with a smart key in the car.

I’m not convinced I want a car with a smart locking system.

^^^ that’s what I love about Paul (Roadie)…he’s just ‘on it’ 

My other car a Nissan. will not lock with the key fob left in the car thank goodness.

Not relevant to poor old JAL001 but reminds me of when we first got my other car, the so-called daily driver, which was a Citroen C4 Picasso with the smart keyless start/entry etc. On our first longish trip with the inevitable comfort/refreshment breaks it simply would not lock either with the remote or the key. The rests became quite hurried being a bit uncomfortable about leaving an unlocked car. Subsequent visits to the dealer found nothing wrong whatsoever. To cut a long story short it took quite a few journeys before we realised what was going on. On any journey over about 5 miles swmbo always took the spare set of keys ‘in case I dropped mine down a drain’! These she would tuck into a bag which was normally shoved in the boot so we were trying to lock it with a key inside which was making sure that we couldn’t. Oh how we laughed.

I have been advised that the actuator arm in the door had malfunctioned. it may be a manufacturing issue so will be reported to Mazda.

Worth checking the windows and seals for alignment when you get it back. Presumably they have forced their way in one way or another. Might be worth asking how they gained entry.