MX5's intimidating?

I’ve noticed how close some idiots get to me and it spoils my drive , even when I let them pass another one latches on . It becomes intimidating .

3 Likes

We all know that the car feels like it’s going faster than it actually is and I am quite happy to pootle along and pull over rather than have cars up my RS. The worst offenders are Range Rovers, Audis and Vauxhalls. They seem to be driven by the sort of genius who thinks it’s OK to ride your bumper trying to get you to race them.

5 Likes

Agree, as although I’m a 25 year old stuck in a 63 year old body, and enjoy some " lively " driving when I think it’s safe enough ,being hustled along by a tailgater isn’t my idea of fun, it’s often by an old Vauxhall or ford with a bucket sized exhaust and the badges removed for some reason, why do they do that anyway?

7 Likes

As fellow 63 yr old

Goes Without Saying that I’m a Twenty Year Old stuck in the Wrong Body :grimacing:

And :shushing_face:

When I Think No One Is Around

Pedal to the Metal :grinning: :smiley: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :laughing: :rofl: :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Nothing wrong with being a member of the " young at heart" club, it’s just that my brain is often saying " yeah, go for it" but my body says " well actually NO old chap ,think again " :laughing: but on a nice quiet long twisty B road with low hedges everything says yes! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

They take the badges off so that when they see their cars parked on their drive they can convince themselves it’s a Ferrari and also to try to convince other people its a Ferrrari innit!

2 Likes

I find white van man the worst.

1 Like

Just had a golf GTI trying to force me into a race by getting right behind me …. Nutters

An MX-5 seems to be a red rag to a bull.
In my case, a silver rag…

3 Likes

question for the older chaps.

how old were you when you found that you could resist the urge to answer when someone challenged you?

I’m 45 now and if someone pulls alongside at the lights and gives it the big one, it’s about 50/50 whether il bite and race or just wave them on!
simply put when can i expect the little monster inside to f off?

Isn’t it great when they come roaring up behind you in their ‘muscle car’ and you hit a few bends and they disappear from the mirror, only to come roaring up behind you on the next straight. Foot off the accelerator and let them slip past and feel like they’ve won. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Spot on, but although they eventually shoot past, you’ve made your point, and let them go :grin:

1 Like

For me personally as a Older Driver and an ex motorcyclist, I just deal with the inner Demon in a different more mellow way, if someone tailgates me, and if I’m inclined I just drop a cog accelerate away and then pull over to let them past , or more often than not ,just enjoy some very spirited driving when the conditions are ok , last year whilst up in Norfolk I was enjoying some spirited back lane driving, and as I shot around one bend ,another old Chap came flying round on the other side in a Caterham 7, we must have missed each other by about a foot, and he was grinning like a Cheshire cat, in fact so was I, OK a tad irresponsible , but I was on my own and had left my wife at the B&B while I nipped out to get some petrol :innocent: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Can’t say that I can always “resist the urge”, mainly I do but sometimes "YeeeeeaaaH! But then I’m only 25…plus the other 53.

4 Likes

53 and it’s a real struggle not to bite. I’d say 50/50 is about right. Also 90% of the 50% I ‘win’…

1 Like

71 and still can’t always resist a challenge.:joy::joy:

1 Like

I’m 70 , and nowadays I can resist the urge to respond to idiots every time ,but my wife says that I drive like a granny most of the time .:rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

It’s a swear-generating “box” in the car!

Meant to nudge you to being light on the accelerator - I mostly ignore it but swear when it goes “nudge” as I’ve put the boot down a little bit

bullying and intimidation and dealing with their semi … Depends on the mood on the day with how my day panned out really with how i would deal with it , slow down until they get it? point to the camera until they get it? flick the hazards on, or just boot it and watch their face drop from something they did not expect as they have no chance in the corners, let him work for is bulling and flick them the finger, and blow them a kiss at the next set of lights with a smug smile or when they think that it is a great idea to try and under take.
M-m

Following on from an earlier comment, I was minding my own business when an oxygen grabber in a Merc homed in on my rear bumper. I was driving briskly, not prepared to go any faster, but after catching me, he just would not go past, preferring stay inches away.

Remembering what Jack Brabham did once, I cut a grass verge and showered my pursuer in gravel. I heard the pings, but he stayed glued to the back of my car.

OK, if at first you don’t succeed, I did it again, this time with a large dust cloud to match the gravel. Ping ping ping, and he got the message, falling back to a safe distance, probably contemplating his stone chips?

Not my problem. Just don’t tailgate me, give me space, and all will be well.

9 Likes