My Automatic is gone

Glad to hear that both you and your car are doing well - that’s really great news.
I too have been listening to Bat Out Of Hell as a tribute to Meatloaf - one of my all time favourites.

2 Likes

Just to say all the encouragement, interest, and good wishes are really appreciated.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Yeah :joy:

Scottish Fiver & MK 1 Good to Go :+1: :muscle:

Filthy Roads :thinking:

“Two Out of Three Aint Bad” :notes:

3 Likes

Tell me about sore knees & joints!
However as part of my rehab, I went de-tox eg zero alcohol ( I was never a “drinker” much maybe a wine bottle a week) zero chocolate, biscuits, puddings, or any factory rubbish.
I do miss the craft cider when cooking though. Never the less I’ve lost 16 lbs with another stone to go, and all the aches & pains have gone too including a dodgy spine which has plagued for years following a write off when a drunk hit me. Hence the Auto. All completely gone. Seems the chemicals in foodstuffs has a lot to answer for. I never knew.
My heart issues which also screwed the lungs up a bit they now know was generational genetics!
They say my uber fit lad might be well advised to get tested…you can go through an active super-sporting life and not know it. Getting him to bother…like me he is indestructible. ( Cough cough)

6 Likes

Well , not the best photos but it’s not nice outside so the car stays under cover till it’s dry!
This is “the hood” I had in storage for nearly 30 months…cheers Covid.
It’s really an essentially unused Mk2 (?) but came complete with a pristine frame & fixings off an MOT failed rot scrapper…all for £150.00 delivered!

It’s a much nicer shade and tight as a drum after being properly stretched (I suspect) over a few weeks. It was in a pretty poor state crease wise, but Andrew knows his stuff…
I’ve got a lambswool envelop for the rear window to protect it in hood down ventures, and I always use the hood cover as well.

No post op stretch marks here either.
Looks like OEM manual really.

Before & after.

The noise of starting is completely different but then…I’ve a toothed flywheel now…and a replacement starter. 3 revolutions…bang onto to cold start tickover, and zero HLA tapping which this engine never did anyhow.

Car is pretty much transformed, but I’m perfectly aware it’s a patchwork of serious weld repairs underneath over the years which are still solid. But, all I want is about 3 or 4 years of fun out of it…then it’ll be off for spares I’d expect. I’d have had it 20 years by then anyhow. It’s probably even now worth more stripped than as a whole…it’s all only 2 years old in chassis component terms plus a good few JDM tasty bits like the expensive ( at the time) Nakamichi ICE. It won’t be getting a lot spent on it again other than road safety & mechanical maintenance for MOTs. Then again, I doubt it will exceed 5k per annum…but it’s nice to have it back and “available” plus something to phart about with in the drive.

Next job is replacing the rubbish headrest speakers, and a thorough good valet, followed by a orbital mopping session. Not too happy with the finish on these very rare 14 Panasports…I might…if I can crack the welds on me sporran, get them redone. These alloys reduce grown men to dribbling 2 year olds with a proper finish.

A mate of mine is sending me his lovely SS Gareth the Restorer sourced nob.
That little 'un is just cheap generic one to get me started. It’s not a comfortable …erm…nob to grasp.

3 Likes

Hi Robin. Sounds like you and Bruce have both been going through it recently So good to here you have both come through everything well. Must have a catch up soon. Now that Covid is hopefully calming down we might finally make it up over the border at last. Take care and have fun.

Just making the most of each allotted day I’m granted Roadie.
Sticking strictly to Cardio Unit Meds & fitness program they designed for me.
It’s odd…but I really & truly care less about me so much as The Boss indoors
A rubbish cook but she does need fed properly.
Bloody good at washing up after me though and a dab hand with the Vax so… “2 out of 3 Ain’t Bad”
Anyway…I’m off forum grids as of tomorrow for a bit again…so catch up here in a few months.
Take care all.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.