My Blue MX-5

Good Morning ,

I bought a new to me 2009 Mazda Mx5 2.0 Sport last year and so i thought i better set up a little build thread of the restoration and hopefully modifications.

Lets start with some collection photos shall we.

6 Likes

Looks an absolute gem as is.
What do you mean by “restoration”?

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I thought :grinning:

2 Likes

Well , these are old cars and different owners like to maintain there cars differently. For me , making sure correct servicing was my first point of call. Not just your oil and filter, but changing engine coolant, making sure all the belts,pulleys etc are all working as expected. Having a look at all the rubber bushings under the car, and the best one RUST! haha Once i am satisfied with that, i can then be happy in the knowledge of spending on improvng the car. For me, spending ÂŁ800 on Meisters is silly if it fails its MOT on perished rubber bushes or rusty subframe for example. Again this is all personal choice

2 Likes

Looks very nice, you’re probably aware that the chrome filler cap for the PRHT is a little bit like the holy grail and in high demand from owners…

2 Likes

Thanks Ian ,
i have already got rid of it - pics coming soon :wink:

Bang on.
Good man.

1 Like

So following on from my pickup - i did what all car enthusiasts do and joined the forums, joined the facebook groups.
i noticed on collection some caps missing at the windscreen , so made my enquiries and was told about the leaks that are very common on the windscreen scuttle area.

I got onto MX5 parts and ordered the caps, and new plastic scuttle things. Tools in hand, they turnt up and i went to town on dismantling the car. Windscreen wipers both sides came off, scuttle panel, to reveal some old crusty plastic. Quick clean and buff to get the residue and 12 years of crud off . some external sealant, and pressed them in.
I did check under the passenger footwell and they had been slightly leaking for a while , nice brown stain on the shiny metal.

Anyway sorry no proper pics - didn’t realise at this point id be starting a build thread.

So following on from the grommet seal situation, i wanted to check through the service history of the car and make sure it was to my liking. It was sold with full service history but i know there are a number of things people can miss. My car came with the first 7 years of its life full mazda dealer history, and then independents from then on. When i picked the car up, the garage i bought it from had serviced it, including the gearbox oil which was nice.

A couple of days later i wanted to make a large trip in my new to me car , so did some basic checks , coolant levels, oil etc… and to my horror i found my tyres were over 8 years old. I should have checked this on buying the car but hay i let my heart get the better of me.

Plans scrapped i booked the car in to get 4 new khumo tyres all round - happy days :slight_smile:

1 Like

The next thing on my list , was to get rid of the ugly chrome fuel cap. For me its too stand out , and i have been in the mini game a while, so have had my fair share of chrome minis. Time to go. Much better after now its body colour. The roll over hoops and front grille, fog surrounds will also get the same treatment soon enough.

1 Like

looks lovely, that does :+1:

1 Like

I’ve got the same model same year in Aluminium Silver which is OK but I wish it was that colour.

1 Like

So after the meltdown that was the age of the tyres I got the new ones fitted and gave me the first proper glimpse of what i had bought.

Not too bad but obviously will need a full inspection to see the extend of the refurb we need to do.

Updates will come soon - forgot i started this. Some big things happened