My Eunos fundraiser and build

Surely that’s the other way round. University study slows down the plans to restore the car. Put it on SORN until you have the funds and time.

The roof itself has no tears it’s just seals

I would of done if it wasn’t my only car and I needed it, it is a long shot restoring it during university but it stops me wasting time during a lockdown

I see tears

The obvious rust damage is a rotted front wing. Used wing; £50, bolts on. Leave paint until you can do it properly.

I wasn’t worried about those tears as a priority as they don’t seem to let water in, but as you’ve mentioned them I’ll get them patched up. The rotted wing I’ll be either replacing or getting welded up once my income is better.

Once again thank you for your advice and support, I knew coming to the owners club would be better then Facebook

Coincidentally my daughter is studying at Worcester, she is a student nurse and right now doing a 12 hour unpaid shift on a high dependency ward where 80% of the patients have Covid. She also works part time in a dementia care home. She doesn’t have a car. I am trying to be empathic but really struggling with your frame of reference on this

1 Like

There is a great deal of knowledge on this forum and I see that you are already getting good advice which should help you prioritise the work. It will also make the best use of your available funds.

I wish your daughter good luck with her degree, and with both her jobs. it is a shame they will not pay her. I appreciate you trying to be empathic, and lets be honest your daughter is in a better position then me with a job, though it must be scary for you having her work on a covid ward. The difference is that I possess non of the training and expertise she does to apply for a similar available job, and thanks to covid the only jobs available to me are take-away delivery driving, which to set up has eaten at my funds to start.

In the end your daughter and myself are in two different boats, doing our best in crazy times.

Yes i’ve been scouring the forum pages and found out a lot of extra information. After buying shopping for 2 weeks i have found my funds to be 56p. which is why i’m hoping Deliveroo and Just Eat get on with verifying my accounts.

The reason you have a water leak is because the vinyl roof has shrunk. There are ways to buy time; if you remove the seal, you can see the stainless steel retainer is held in with some screws. Loosen them, and there is a bit of a wiggle room. Once a new roof is fitted, they need to be returned to the original positions.

I see thank you! on a question of a new roof, is mohair better then vinyl if i keep it a soft top? It’s a matter of longevity and pricing, i have seen decent condition hardtops going for £250-300. Some website i found wanted to charge £900 for a factory new OEM hardtop, which is half i spent on the car!

Yes the job market is tough, although health/personal care is an area where you may well find employment without experience or training (as my daughter did,) as it’s hard work, not glamorous or everyone’s cup of tea and therefore has a high churn rate. Good luck in your work search :+1:.

I suppose the interesting thing for me is that you thought setting up a gofundme page was appropriate and examining my own feelings about that…

1 Like

Mohair lasts longer than vinyl, but is more expensive. Both are about the same when it comes to a screwdriver. A £120 trade top will last 5-6 years, or longer. A mohair hood costing twice as much doesn’t last twice as long. Good luck on finding a “decent condition” hardtop for £300.

You spent £2k on this car!! You’ve been had.

When you are down to your last 56p, it seems a bit off discussing how long you are going to keep this car. The logical step would be to get shot of it while it still has MOT, and get something boring and dependable, that will see you through your studies and delivering curries.

Why did you spend money on worthless new sway bars (anti-rollbars)? Presumably you still have the originals. Put them back on, sell the thicker anti-roll bars. Got to beat online panhandling.

1 Like

Most of the jobs adverts want experienced employees, but i am sure there are jobs I could go for. Thank you for the support. I have had quite a bit of “haha you want us to pay for your rust repairs” and “i’ll give you £350 but i’ll be wanting the car” off Facebook, those groups only want an mx-5 they don’t care to help unless they make money. So i understand not everyone approves of a fundraiser.

£1800 for the car, as it was rust free and delivered. I do not trust much on for sale on Facebook so a £300 hardtop is sketchy. I bought the swaybars way back in July 2020 when i was working full time at my local co-op, but due to shipping issues and stock in Australia, the Bofi racing order i had placed also had new spark plugs and a Radium fuel rail to clean up the engine bay, it took months to arrive and the sway bars didn’t get fitted until end of November, as such i sold the original sway bars for scrap as they were rusted up and the bushings were perished. Although the car now pulls to the left the swaybars were not worthless as the car rolls less and steers tighter.

As for the roof i’ll look at both options but if vinyl is £120 i’ll go for one of them.

[quote=“Joe92, post:35, topic:117797, full:true”]
£1800 for the car, as it was rust free [/quote]

Some thngs don’t add up; you said a previous owner wanted to scrap it, then someone did some restoring, now it was purchased rust free. But its not.

I don’t think its a car worth spending much time on, particularly on a limited budget, and with limited skills.

No, its not that people don’t approve of fundraisers, but its the motives behind a fundraiser. Maybe its a generational thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/fashion/gofundme-gone-wild.html

But it is true, you are asking for £1000 to pay for your rust repairs (originally it was £3000).

1 Like

To be precise I don’t remember all the details on its owner before it got the extensive welding done for the MOT. obviously it passed that. I purchased it less then a month after the MOT. The damage then, has to have happened after purchase around December time.

To respond to your other response, I guess to some it could be selfish for this type of fundraiser. and to be clearer, it was £3000 to help to the overall build on top of the repairs, now its £1000 to cover the repairs, new roof and some modernization. Sorry if my writing isn’t clear, Dyslexia is a pain.

I concur with the comments made on Facebook.

1 Like

That is fair enough, i knew it would get a varied response