My First MX-5 1.8 NC

Not only my first MX-5 but my first Jap car.
Been looking at MX-5s for longer than I can remember. Always liked the NA, just for it’s purity and cute looks, but when I started looking they were all either dogs or over priced, also I was looking for a standard, unmolested example, no mods.
The NB didn’t appeal, and the ND I didn’t even consider due to the cost and not wanting to get tied up in some “you’ll never own it” finance deal, so I started to consider the NC. Then a really clean one owner low mileage car came up locally, I went to have a look and it was really clean, never messed with, always garaged, no rust and just 30k miles. A 1.8 with heated leather and I bought it, didn’t even test drive it.
So far so good, had it a week, the only problem so far is that the dash cam (the only mod) was rattling so I removed it. A previous rip in the hood had been repaired but with second hand hoods so plentiful I’ll be changing it and fitting new front pads.
Impressions so far. Great car for local blasts but I wouldn’t want to take it on a longer run. It’s just a 1.8 but goes well enough and I actually prefer not to have the sports suspension due to my advanced years and creaking joints. The steering is really direct, the brakes are sharp, seems really well put together although the interior is a bit plasticky.
The MX-5 is a fun car for me, not a daily driver, I’m more of a BMW man at heart.

3 Likes

Hello Keith and welcome from Nottinghamshire… Sounds like you’ve got yourself a nice NC there - We like seeing pics on here too…! :slight_smile: This is a friendly OC with lots of good advise and friendly banter, so again, welcome… :slight_smile:
Rob

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the club.
NC 1.8 owner here too, although mine is a hardtop. That doesn’t mean it is quieter than yours, plus mine is on 17" wheels, but I still do long journeys in it, and love it anywhere I go.
It has surprised a couple of bmw drivers in corners too…

2 Likes

Photos to follow, Unfortunately I’ve got the car dirty so it needs a wash.

For every day I have a 2006 BMW 330d touring manual. There is also an e39 M5, e21 323i, e30 325i Cabriolet, e46 325ti Compact Sport and a '91 Mercedes 300 SL in the stable so I’m a bit spoilt for choice. The Mercedes needs to go as I’ve never bonded with it, it’s also the only auto and I hate autos.

That’s a lot of e’s…

Yes I dot like the f’s

1 Like

The MX5 has gone to a new home. It was a short but happy relationship.

We loved the car but it got to winter, it went under a cover in the garage, a “friend” offered me a TVR and I needed the space so it had to go, actually the TVR has also gone due to a situation with the “friend” who after agreeing a price for the car decided he didn’t want to sell it after all. So now I have a space in the garage and I’m thinking about what to put there?

Used car prices are at a current high, so if I buy something now I’m going to be really badly hit by depreciation, as much as 30% over the next 12 months, sounds like a mugs game to me! So I’m going to spend some time working on my BMW e39 M5 before replacing the MX5.

Top of my wish list is… another MX5. I’m thinking about a 2.0 Sport with the folding hardtop. But I’ll wait until the second hand car market comes back down to a sensible level, no point paying over the odds.

If you aren’t in a rush, hang on and wait for a good mk1 to come up in a reasonable price bracket. Probably can grab one for the cost of your mk3? They do come and go so just keep an eye out.

Good luck!

My son is needing a replacement car after writing his off several days ago. Used prices are really strong unfortunately and talking to my dealer friends, this isn’t going to change this year (in their opinion). So if you see something you want, buy it and don’t worry about depreciation as you could be dead before you go to sell it !!

I’m not in a rush and can wait for some time. I have a BMW e30 325i convertible so I’m not short of fun summer cars.

Well I found a chink in the second hand car market and picked up another MX5. It’s almost the twin of the one I sold, same year, similar mileage, same black heated interior, Identical except for the 2 litre engine and folding hardtop and a fair bit cheaper than the one I sold at the beginning of the year, so everything I wanted but didn’t have for less money :slight_smile:

2 Likes