My Mazda MX5 Mk2 Nevada

Hi everyone,

I’m very excited to announce my Mazda Mx5 NB Nevada which was a very much a impulse buy and a save from being scrapped.
I was in need of a car as I wanted to sell my 2020 Audi TT S-Line and it so happened my boyfriend came across this little mazda mx5 that needed saving. (Even though he is very much a BMW M and oddly French GI Fan boy)
The Car was purchased in November very much as a risk, What we knew about her was…

Genuine 55k on the clock (confirmed by car vertical)
She had been dry stored since 2018.
No History
Very much loved by the elderly previous owner.
The Cat is original
The Chassis rails and rear quarters seemed to of been done at 2017

On the first drive the tyres were flat spotted, the callipers were sticky and the idle was lumpy when cold. This didn’t phase my partner knew nothing about Mx5’s but has done projects before.

Thanks to Ebay, MX5parts.com and Euro car parts we have achieved so much

Full Fluid Change, Diff Oil, Gear box Oil, Engine Oil, Coolant, Brake Fluid, Plugs Ect
Cambelt and Aux Belts, fuel filter.
Mishimoto Rad and new Hoses (Blue to colour match)
K&N induction kit (original induction doesn’t fit around the larger rad)
New OE Cam Positioning Sencer
New OE Coil Packs
New Plug leads (blue to Colour Match)
New Mintex Callipers, Discs and Pads all round
Braided Brake Lines
Eibach Lowering Springs
Shift Boot Kit
Cat Guard from Lights Up
All new Michelin PS4s
Second Hand Back Box
Poly Door Bush Rubbers.
A Full professional paint Polish

The car did have resident whilst in storage that chewed some wiring the scuttle engine seam and boot seam. Some droppings were found when the interior carpet was taken up to fit the cat guard and Shift kit.
As we didn’t drive the car we were desperate to drive and enjoy, the little mazda passed its mot on the 1st of February with flying colours. Most of our concerns were gone but we do have a Idle issue that has seemed to improved with some might Shell V Max Fuel.
Driving the Car is amazing, I love the experience despite some issues the car still has there is a real buzz and purity she delivers that my TT didn’t offer. We still have some minor cold rough idle issue we are not sure about but it does seem to fixing itself over time.
Old bad fuel in the system we shall see.

To come in the near future:

Minor Dents Pulled out
Rear 10mm Spacer kit (New Wheel Bearings)
Air Con overhaul
Alignment Bolt Change and alignment
Colour Change (Wrap)
HardTop Purchase
Roll Cage
Bucket seat setup, (I’m 6ft tall and how would that work)
ICE overhaul as Stereo is broken and why not upgrade the speakers.
PolyBush the car in stages with Suspension overhaul.
MORE POWER!

Thank you and I hope you Enjoy. Any Advice is welcome.

3 Likes

Michelin PS3s :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome along, seems like you’ve found a good NB there, proof they are around, look forward to hearing how she progresses.

1 Like

Hiya Helen,

Interesting read, well done to you and your boyfriend…

1 Like

OK…So Did U Guys

Hide Your Lights Under a Bushel !

So When You Joining as Members

And What’s His/Her Name

:wink:

Haha love it! We are not hiding our lights under a bushel :joy: We have limited /no experience of mx5’s / - other than what we’ve found on the internet as new owners, and are very keen to find out what you amazing enthusiasts say.

But it’s not our first rodeo, we have restored cars that we’ve kept - though they are bmw m cars so we are very much enjoying the price difference between them and the wonderful mx5!

We would love to join the club, and sorry for saying in original post that we had joined I meant the forum! I’m very new to online car forums so forgive the indiscretion please.

The knowledge on this forum is just amazing and absolutely what We were hoping to find. To be continued re membership of the club!

And no, I haven’t chosen a name yet. Though I’m thinking of calling her ‘mouse’ after her now evicted tenants…

Lovely example. Glad it’s being “saved”
In broad general terms, the only routes to get a worthwhile power hike from them is either turbo or supercharging. The engines are pretty much well developed as is. The grandmother engine of yours was, historically engineered to take a turbo anyway. I think from way back in a Mazda 323F Turbo or summat. IF…and only IF…they are sympathetically serviced with regular quality oils etc, they last very well.
By that I mean every 4/5000 miles.
Mine has been ( cough) enthusiastically revved silly for 16 years with short oil changed and the 108k miles mill is tight and is still sweet as a “factory” nut… zero oil consumption or smoke.
Mazda did a factory Ltd Ed turbo If I recall it whacks out between 185/190 something BHP which tbh in a small car weighing 2 KitKat wrappers with the hood down is probably “more than adequate”.
You might have a bit of fun reading up on the forced induction Mx5 world. There is a lot of it about…or was.
Bearing in mind of course the more it’s modded…sometimes leads to less reliability if the F1 is not engineered with sufficient knowledge or care. Which happens even if people pay “recognised” tuning companies to do it. No names…no pack drill. :wink:
Some say…get a 5’s chassis well sorted first and thrash it’s little nuts off…you might find it’s enough fun squeezing every 140-odd bhp you are supposed to have out of it as is.

Hi Helen

No Pressure for Joining [I was a visitor for a while before realizing what a fantastic club this is]

But it uplifts us Enthusiasts to witness what you Chappess & Chap have done :grinning:

“Mouse”…Gotta Be :thinking:

Sense of Humour is also very much welcomed :wink:

1 Like

the e36 and e46 :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: