My MK3.75 and the Bristol Britannia - now come full circle

Last year, I posted the below on this forum:

Bought my 2.0 Sport Venture a week before my dad passed away in February. So I found this plate in the summer as a reminder of his great life. It’s not his initials but this is the registration of one of the first aircraft he flew as a new commercial pilot in the early 1970’s.

The aircraft in question is currently on display Duxford and is the Bristol Britannia in Monarch Airlines livery G-AOVT

After finding some old Britannia manuals in my dad’s stuff, I offered them to the museum at Duxford. I popped down today to Duxford to drop them off.

However, a few days prior to my visit, I asked if I would be allowed to take some pictures of my car next to the Britannia, thinking this would not be possible. They responded that they will see what they can do on the day.

When I turned up at the gate, I was immediately ushered around the hangars and allowed to drive right up to the Britannia on the apron. This had all been arranged prior to my arrival and special permission had been sought.

The photographs below are the result. Very special thanks to John MacLoughlin for arranging this.

28 Likes

Great pictures and fantastic result ,just shows how brilliant some people can be

1 Like

I flew from RAF Brize Norton to RAF Akrotiri via RAF Luqa in a RAF Britannia (Canopus), but flew back in a VC10, both lovely aircraft. There is ex-RAF Britannia at Cotswold Airport (Kemble).

1 Like

That’s a great story.

1 Like

What a fine result.
Smashing photos, well done :+1:

1 Like

Nice!

1 Like

Great Pictures.
Sorry to hear of your loss, that’s a really nice family connection to have with aviation and airline history. I was fortunate enough to fly with a few of the old Britannia pilots when I joined Monarch many years ago maybe one was your dad? The Aeroplane was long since retired but I loved hearing the stories and adventures from that golden age.

1 Like

@three-greens
Hi Russell,
This must be a great piece for the Club magazine…

1 Like

More than happy for the text and pictures to be used for a potential article, if it is decided to do a piece on this topic

R

Hi Russell, You will have to do a write up and sent it to the Club Mag Editor…

1 Like

Great photos. I have been to Duxford many times. Your cat has beautiful markings too !

2 Likes

My first ever flight as a child was in an Eagle Britannia.

In a vicious thunderstorm. At night.
Without my parents by the way but with a bunch of similar aged Cubs to something London.
I was certain my time had come.
It sounded like a barrel of loose rivets.
It probably was.
I was awaiting the bomb doors to open and me dropped out into the night.
Seatbelts the whole way.
My short life flashed before me so that do not take long.

3 Likes

Fab picture - some of the Eagle Britannias found there way to Monarch

R

I flew once Heathrow to Jo-burg as an intercontinental passenger (cheap student charter flight) in a CL44, a Canadian improvement on the Britannia licensed from Bristol, longer fuselage and wings, better engines, better range. Even so it required a stop for fuel midway. We were originally scheduled to stop in Lagos, but the Civil War was threatened and instead we flew around Nigeria and on to what was then called Fernando Po, (Bioko), an island in the armpit of Africa.

There were two strips of new tarmac on the island, one the runway, the other the road to the capital. The “Terminal” was a large corrugated iron roof with no walls and temporary crowd-control barriers randomly dotted around in a vain hope of guiding people through the various desks. I have an Immigration stamp from there on my Passport dated 28th June 1967. Another student tagged onto the end of the queue again and her expired passport gained a stamp on the renewals page.

The flight took ages, and we all stuffed our ears with chewed up paper because it was so noisy.
At least the seats were wide and comfortable with plenty of leg-room for a six-footer; but in those days they all were, in all the long range flights.

The return trip was on a SAA 707 with the RR engines, much quieter and quicker.

3 Likes

As a schoolboy airspotter and still a bit of an avgeek, I can imagine how thrilled you must have been by this!

Sorry for your loss, but that’s such a lovely way to remember your dad.

3 Likes

Been interested in aviation for nearly 50 years and play on Microsoft Flight Simulator a lot. Keeps me off the streets :smiley:

2 Likes

Sorry about your sad loss but a wonderful family connection and way to remember your dad. My first flight was in a Monarch Boeing 720B. Really sad when they went bankrupt a number of years ago.
Fantastic photos and well done Duxford!

2 Likes

The first time I ever flew was in a British Eagle Britannia, about 1968.
It was a family holiday from LHR to Majorca. As a first time flier I was really nervous and I was virtually pushed and dragged up the steps onto the aircraft.
The last few days of the holiday were then spent stressing about the flight back! Pointless really as the flights were fine.
I’ve got a black Venture too, a 1.8.
Terrific story, with the meaningful personalised plate and the photo opportunity at Duxford.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss, but a great way to remember your Dad and a story to match. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Many thanks GeeJay and to all the wonderful responses I have received. It was a great day in Duxford and a truly unique opportunity, made possible by John MacLoughlin of the Duxford Aviation Society.

Thanks all

Russ

2 Likes