My new precious is a 25th Anniversary

Scuttle Grommets sealed and scuttle cleaned.

Taking off the scuttle panels was uneventful; no grommet-covers broken, I guess because I levered them up on the rounded end so allowing them to ease out as the cover flexed slightly. It was all surprisingly clean for a nine year old car. I guess the mileage was mainly summer.

The little white T-hooks allow one to stretch the rubber bonnet seal off them, and after some catches were eased forward to allow lifting the front of the pair of scuttle panels it is easy to bring the panels forward just off the windscreen. In this case it was easier to slip the rubber off the hooks than tease them out of the firewall, although two did pop out easily.

Finally while lifting the centre to narrow the ends to clear the back of the bonnet it can be moved to where it is in the picture, washer hoses still attached.

Passenger side grommet was firm, but covered in silt, clearly a flow point; now clean and sealed.

Driver’s side grommet was slightly loose and the washer had shrunk, a thin ty-wrap is an easy way to work some silicone under it before swamping it around the edges as usual.

You can see where I took the ventilation intake shield off how its foam kept the dust out.

The sound enhancing tube will be stuffed with a rolled-up plastic bag. I’ll drill a hole in the tube’s tab through which a cable-tie can anchor the bag in place.

Now stuffed

When the flexi-silicone has gone off (for sure by tomorrow) I’ll reassemble it all.

And a day later, assembled ready for a test drive to make sure SWMBO is happy with the car.

6 Likes