My views after my first month of MX5 ownership

Getting to the scuttle grommets, removing them and applying silicone sealant under and around them as you put them back on is a very easy job. Trust me, if I can do it, anyone can.
Just be careful with how you handle the plastic panel at the bottom of the windscreen, and cover any painted area that you swing a screwdriver near to.

2 Likes

Ok Weds looking dry so I’ll give it a go. Pray for my car :joy:

Maybe I should have bought a Skoda :thinking: :grinning:

I’ve had one (Skoda) the build quality in some areas and under protection is much better than Mazda.:+1:

1 Like

If you have a rear mounted 3rd brake light on top of the rear deck, that might be where the water is getting in. On my 2006 mk3 I took the brake light off and re-sealed up the 2 holes and around the brake housing with new sealant. I know they’re a different design but worth checking. Enjoy the car, nothing out there gives as much fun per £ than a mx5.

2 Likes

I had a quick look under the third brake light. It’s under the PHRT lid thing which had a cover on the bottom surface. I haven’t worked out how best to get to it. Probably best leave this and the front grommets for better weather. At the moment parking it with the nose down seems to help.

Nice to see another new owner. I’ve just got a 15 plate 2.0 Sort, and I love it. Even the bad bits put a smile on my face.

My first car was a D Reg Mini Mayfair and I adored it, and regretted getting rid of it for years.

The 5 puts EXACTLY the same smile on my face. Feeling the road more, and in control more, than cars I’ve had before.

I do intend to upgrade the radio, largely for personal preference. I’ll replace the head unit and consider doing the speakers at the same time.

The one thing I have done is get a Bluetooth OBD reader just to give it a once over every few months or so.

2 Likes

My first ever car was a mini. Complete with rotting floors and a seat that was going through the floor. The blowing exhaust sounded attracted much attention when I arrive at car shows. When I filled with petrol I also had to top up the engine oil (by quite a lot). In that condition it still used to get us to Yorkshire and back from the south east regularly. That was about 35 years ago!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.