My views after my first month of MX5 ownership

Just for a bit of fun this is my personal thoughts and experience after my first month of my first MX5 ownership. It’s a 2014 Sport Venture 1.8 with 54k miles and full Mazda service history. I’m a lifetime biker and this car replaced my previous generation excellent Suzuki Swift Sport which I had from brand new for over 6 years. emphasised text.

Good points

It makes me smile every time I get into it.

My initial worry that the 1.8 engine would be too slow are unfounded. It’s quick enough for UK roads and especially the southeast. Not perceivably slower than the Suzuki’s 136 bhp and 1000kg weight. I’m already used to high revs on my bikes and the Suzuki anyway.

It feels comfortable and well-planted with beautifully precise steering and handling. It takes fast bends in its stride while my Suzuki drifted sideways (fun!) around the same bends at the same speeds. My daughter said it feels really safe after the Suzuki. The higher quality interior helps with that.

The electric folding hard top is a lovely piece of theatre, fun, practical and beautiful to use.

The car seems to evoke passion in people. It’ the first time I’ve owned a pressure washer and car polishing stuff :sweat_smile: I’m even planning to attend some club events.

The community and amount of help and advice available is impressive.

The endless possibility for upgrades and mods. Already updated the Pioneer radio software, bought leather gaiters, installed a new gear knob, hard wired dash cam and some other bits. In 6+ years of ownership my sole Suzuki upgrade was a gear knob. I’m now considering suspension mods and maybe even a performance upgrade.

Less good points

Moisture, water and rust worries. I google MX5 and many of the results concern rust. The slightly crusty bits under the car has me booking an expensive unplanned underseal. A slightly pimply paint area on the top of one arch has me worried if it’s rust. I’ve got a wet boot lid, the source of which I can’t trace and I’m constantly looking around for other wet bits too. The Pioneer screen fogs up too. And while I’m at it…that little shelf/pocket under the rear sill that catches crud from the tyres seems to be a poor design.

The 125bhp is a bit low for a 1.8.

The noise when I put my foot down is a bit underwhelming.

People drive right up my backside and they don’t stop at roundabouts.

Getting in and out of the seat, especially on my sloped drive doesn’t look too glamorous.

The jury is out but like I said, it makes me smile.

9 Likes

Always nice to welcome new members of the club and great to hear that you’ve already had good engagement from other owners. Hope you get useful info on each of the concerns you’ve raised and have many happy years of ownership.

3 Likes

In the words of the famous song…“ya ain’t seen nothin’ yet!”
Wait until the weather is warm and dry and the sun is beaming down.
Things get even better.
The corrosion concerns are something that shouldn’t temper the enjoyment but it is worth keeping on top of.
As our cars age they do need some tlc to keep them in tip top shape but, some see that as part of the fun of ownership.
Your underseal treatment should help allay any major worries.
As for the remainder of the little niggles there ought to be many forum members who can offer help, advice and solutions to cure them.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It’s great to hear how much you’re enjoying your -5

All the best,
Guy

3 Likes

Glad to read you like the 1.8 too. Some people forget what is legal on the open roads.
Regarding your wet boot lid, it could be condensation from the can in the tyre repair kit…
Never happened to me, but I read about it on the forum…

2 Likes

Enjoy your 5 but remember that the PRHT (roof) rubbers and pressure washers are not the best of friends.

Preventative maintenance is also useful, if you haven’t already, seal the shuttle grommets (info available on this forum or YouTube) and tighten the silver coloured dome bolts on the roof mech.
These dome bolts are a common problem if they come loose. They hold the quadrant cogs for the roof deck together. If you open the roof, the deck is the first part to open. Once the roof is open you should spot the silver dome bolts on the cogs that operate the deck (one each side). Use an Allen key to pinch them up nice and tight.

Richard.

5 Likes

Thank you all for the encouragement and the pointers. I’m used to working regularly on my bikes but till now my cars have just sat there with little attention. Working on this car will definitely be fun. Understand about the car needed with the jet wash. That’s mostly for underneath and under arches. I’ve already sprayed ACF50 under the back end where I was able to reach without lifting the car.

Ok so tonight I removed the tyre gunk (expired bottle and replacement bottle were in there) and the tools as I would probably never use them. I’ll carry the pump to deal with slow punctures and maybe even carry a tyre plug kit from my bike.

Tomorrow I will check and clean the seals around the roof mechanism and tighten those bolts. That grommet that goes through the boot will get some sealant.

I’ll then park it the other way around with the nose down as has been mentioned elsewhere in the form.

My leak theory is that the water is dripping from the inside surface of the boot lid where it is obviously wet as I believe the underside of the carpet is dry. That could therefore be due to moisture gathering there with the exhaust heat etc. My plan will be to try to dry it all out somehow to see if it comes back.

1 Like

noone looks good getting in or out of an mx5.
apparently i look so funny, the local ratbags… i mean teenagers, made a video of me struggling to get in or out and posted it online!
i havent seen the video yet myself, not sure if i want too. but people keep walking past and saying “isnt that him from the car video”

4 Likes

Hahaha I’m glad I’m not alone.

1 Like

I have had my 2.0 about 1.5 years and still unsure. It’s a good car over all but I also was a biker and find the MX5 lacks a bit of excitement that I was used to with the bikes. Even my 690 Duke that was 70hp had a sense of occasion about it.

If the 125hp is a bit lacking there’s always turbo and supercharger kits :grimacing:
As for noise, there’s not a lot of backbox choices so maybe 4-1 headers and a remap will help with the noise as well as the horsepower.

I had issues with Pioneer stereo , it ended up being that the screen was coming unstuck, delaminating and looked like this. .

2 Likes

Enjoy your 5!! Newto, Mine still makes me smile and the feeling when you drive, especially with the top down - joy! As for getting out - well… however, I have a practised series of movements which work! As the song says - You ain’t seen nothin’ yet (Thanks TOGs)

2 Likes

Check rear light seals replace any way

1 Like

My thanks to everyone who replied. Got to say I’m loving the car more and more despite the small issues. Last night we had a lovely drive back home at 10pm, 5 degrees, clear skies and roof open.

I’ve had a good check over the areas mentioned by everyone; tightened things, checked and wiped over the seals, checked around the lights and grommets and can confirm that I still have no idea how the inside of the bootlid got wet. I have confirmed with the application of various cardboard pieces that it is this water that is falling into the boot. When I originally saw/test drove it at the dealer this area was dry. But when I picked it up it had just been jet-washed by them and that could be when the water got in. I think it was wet there when I picked it up.

Obviously I don’t want to make another new boot leak topic as there are plenty already. But I think I’ve solved it… I will now park the car with the nose down the slight slope of my parking space :sweat_smile:

I don’t understand which are the “shuttle grommets” which I may have dealt with today. If anyone could explain exactly which grommets they are I’d appreciate it.

How long do people think those fabric seals around the lights and under the front windscreen last? I will be looking to replace or reseal those in early summer.

The occasional random fogging of the Pioneer isn’t a major issue. It tends to go away once I get going and the heater has done it’s job. When I am feeling flush and bored I will replace it with something that has CarPlay etc.

2 Likes

Have a look here.

Richard.

1 Like

Thank you Richard. I was aware of that area but didn’t relate to the name for them. So far it’s dry under there but I have that in mind to do.

Do you have any idea how long that area lasts before it leaks?

I sealed mine at about 6 years old and before they started leaking so not really able to answer your question. Best checked asap because of the electrical problems that can arise. (cost one OC member a new starter motor)

Richard

2 Likes

Thank you! I already both replacement clips (incase I break the existing ones) and will do it very soon.

1 Like

It maybe a previous owner has already sealed them but good to check. :droplet::droplet:

1 Like

I doubt the previous owner did as it seems it was a daily driver, standard Mazda service etc. So far it had been dry under there. To be honest I’m daunted by the task but surely will do it.

Getting the wiper arms off the tapered spindle can be a pain as is the removal of the rubber bonnet seal (I believe some leave this in place), The plastic retaining clips holding the rubber seal don’t give up easily. I used a small socket from below to push in the clips wings to release them. Time wise it takes anything between 20 to 60 minutes to do.

Richard.

2 Likes

Re: “… A slightly pimply paint area on the top of one arch has me worried if it’s rust.”.

It’s a Mazda. Yes, it probably is a very large boil of rust under the innocent looking pimple.

1 Like