Mystery 'Best Kept' 5 categories & a few questions regarding comps

Out of curiosity and for the benefit of others, what are the secret categories in the “Best Kept” 5 competition?
Page 54 of August’s STHT says “Points are awarded from 1 to 9, looking at 8 categories” but only 6 are listed on the score sheet!

Again, for the benefit of others (and in the interests of a fair competition) it would probably be good if somebody (Peter) could explain the judging criteria more clearly for each item - for instance, how are “aerodinamics” (sic) going to be judged? - Have we borrowed Adrian Newey and a portable wind tunnel, or is it purely guess work (“looks like it’ll be fast, 9 points for that, sir”)?

How is original paint favored over a respray in the “Best Kept” category?
How is “performance” taken in to account in the “Cool 5” category when there is only scoring for “Cleanliness/Condition”?
Similar question for “Tyres” in the “Hot 5” category, when there is no reference to it/them in the scoring.
etc, etc.

If a “Hot 5” entrant does not know their 1/4 mile time, or BHP, (etc.) what happens then? Can they not enter? What relevance does this information have if it’s not part of the scoring?

When bonus points can be freely awarded for custom parts, how is judging kept fair? How many judges will evaluate each vehicle?

These are just some quick questions that I came up with while glancing through STHT, but I’m sure I won’t be the only member wondering (at least some of) them [:)]

A while back, I entered my Mk1 into the best kept copetion, I had spent weeks before hand polishing the outside and cleaning and polishing the engine bay. As I was there early I cleaned any dust off etc and wiped the tyres with that tyre wall cleaner you can buy to make them nice and black. I then went for a walk around the show and when I came back I saw that there was another competitor laid on the grass along the side of his car doing something with the underneath side of the car.  It turned out that he was busy polishing the underneath side of the car AND under the mudgaurds.  I new then I had no chance and it was only later that some cars entered into competitions are what are known as “Garage Queens”, they only come out for competitions. That was my first and last attempt at entering competitions.

The point is that you have to know what is expected of you to have any chance of even being placed, which I didn’t at the time.

The actual judging is not being arranged by the Chatsworth Organising Committee,we have just allocated space for the competition

Perhaps someone more involved could respond please

The Rally competitions are now being set by the National Events Coordinator, with the approval of the committee.

I apologise for the miss information, there are only 6 categories. It’s a typo, like the spelling mistakes. The magazines are proof read before publication but some things do slip through.

The Hot 5 category is a difficult one to judge, lacking a circuit to race on we have to do everything by eye. The Aerodynamic category is basically has the owner done anything to the car to aid downforce, drag, cooling, etc.

I think the categories are fairly self explanatory, there is no complicated criteria.

It doesn’t matter weather it’s new paint or original, just it’s condition.

Performance is not taken into consideration in the Cool 5 category, its just a matter of style.

Tyres are a good point, at the moment they are included in the wheels category. I will consider making them a separate category for next year.

The information in the top half of the score sheets are for tie breakers only and are not part of the scoring system. But I would expect anyone that had a turbo or supercharger fitted to there cars to have had it rolling road tuned and therefore would know there BHP and Torq.

In Cool 5 1x bonus point is awarded for each category if there is a one off custom part present. I.e. a part that you can’t just purchase off a shelf, something that has been made pacifically for that car.

It is one judge for each category (Hot 5, Cool 5, Best Kept), judges may comfier when there is a tie breaker situation and where there is no clear winner.

My hopes for the rally competitions is that they evolve though trial and error improving over time and I welcome all criticism. I will act on all comments made to help improve the competitions for next year.

I thought it was agreed to try a concours category for National Rallies as well, properly judged, just to see what happened. ?

I did look into doing a concours category, I’m not sure what happened to that. I’d need to see if members are still interested in that or perhaps a more complex Best Kept.

Have you any more news for the members on the above.