Mystery trim rattles above windscreen

Hi all,

I’ve been chasing some trim rattles behind the interior trim above the windscreen and just can’t seem to cure whatever is making the noise. Specifically, I’ve got a high pitched buzz at around 2500rpm on the driver’s side section, and a lower pitched rattle on the passenger side section that pipes up at numerous points.

I’ve dismantled everything in the area numerous times, tightened every bolt I can find, and put some electrical tape over every clip that makes contact but can’t seem to get them gone.

So, as a last resort I’ve come looking for some advice on what else it could be, otherwise I’ll just have to take up meditation to tune them out!

Check all the clips are still gripping as they should, both to the trim and the metalwork. If they’ve been in-out-in-out-shake-it-all-about too much, they could have worn/bent loose.

Also try

1. putting some sticky-back foam (eg draft excluder) between trim and metal (look for the worn paint spots where it’s buzzing)

2. and/or a few dabs of Silent Coat (other sound deadeners can be just as effective) inside the longer un-braced sections of the trim.

Thanks, I’ll give some of these a go.

I had feared the clips may be what is vibrating (those loose little metal ones especially) but I’m sure the noises existed before my tinkering, and I have already taped them without any discernable change in the sound.

1 Like

Hi, not sure which model you have but see my post on here.

1 Like

I have an NC1 softop, very early model.

1 Like

Wrap some foam around the loom anywhere between the tie downs in A-pillar and across the head lining and check the wires near the light.

Also if you’ve hard-wired a dash cam up behind the mirror think about foam to quieten that lead and the ferrite (you have put one on the lead? yes?) near the end as well.

I had a very loud buzz that would happen if I let the car decelerate from high revs. I was 100% convinced it was above my head, Including driving around with latch open.

It was my 13 year old daughter that pin pointed mine, it was the cowl that sits over the instrument panel if I held it while driving it disappears but sounds nowhere near there so try other areas first.

1 Like

I have a dashcam but it’s not hardwired. I’ll try the other things.

Revisiting this some time later. Despite trying all the above suggestions I have no success in silencing whatever the source of these rattles are.

Any further input welcome.

Rattles within the windscreen area can be deceptive. Are you sure that it’s coming from above rather than below? Sound bounces around in that area.

2 Likes

To the best of my investigative abilities it seems to be coming from the top corners of the windscreen and passengers seem to agree.

I think I’m going to have to rip out all the sound dampening material I put in (which I’m not looking foraward to) and start form scratch. With all the things I’ve tried it’s becoming more difficult to keep track of what it isn’t. Although I’ve tried just about every possibility now.