NA 1.8 Mass Air Sensor Positioning

On my 1996 Roadster, the Ramair foam filter looks a bit crispy

It was fitted, to a Arc Superintake pipe 4 years ago, without issue.

Recently, the car had some work done, and when the garage reassembled, they didn’t set the intake as I would have set it (it was resting on the radiator…). But I’m thinking on some more bodgery to the intake.

I have space

So currently, throttle body-ARC Intake-MAS-Filter

With a 3" 45 degree pipe, I could go

throttle body-ARC Intake-MAS-Pipe-Filter

But I could also go

throttle body-ARC Intake-Pipe-MAS-Filter

I think the MAS has a thermister.

With the second option, the air temperature at the MAS will be a little cooler. Will this cause an issue?

It would be best to avoid placing the MAF where it will get heated by the exhaust. With the original manifold heatshield removed that might be an issue.

Yes the MAF has an air temperature sensor ( it measures the mass airflow by sensing how that air cools a sensing element so it also needs to know how hot the air is as that affects the reading).

A heat blanket over the manifold might solve the issue.

Well I never had an issue until the recent work. The manifold has been on since 2005. As I said, the filter I fitted in 2020, and regularly checked it. Yesterday, there was an odd smell through the heater. Looking at the intake, it had been repositioned from how I set it up. I’ve sorted that.

A header blanket is £200+. Not going to happen with this car.

Now, I’m thinking about positioning the filter to the side of the washer bottle, with the MAS attached, which considerably tidies up the wiring. But this is a cool spot in the engine bay, relative to anywhere else. The intake air, by the time it gets to the throttle body, will be hotter, thanks to aluminium acting as a heatsink. Now I could wrap the intake tube with £10 of reflective tape, rather than the header with the insulator but that won’t eliminate heat soak. Is positioning the MAS going to lead to an artificially measured instake temperature?

How the intake has changed since I brought the car in 2005

2005, it came with a HKS

Then I got hold of a full Arc intake (note the pad, it used to rattle on the bonnet)

I foolishly thought I was selling on this car, and the Arc box was sold for a tidy sum. 11 years later, I still have the car (the S-Limited that I brought as a keeper turned out to be not as good as I thought…).

On went a no-brand K&N type filter

I started getting emissions issues, and me and Thrussington spent the next 7 years trying to figure it. To eliminate doubt that the filter oil might be fouling the MAS, I fitted a cheap Ripspeed foam filter, that was comically small

Didn’t last long, in 2020, on went the Ramair filter

Which in 2024 melted.

In all the years, MOT emissions aside, the car has always ran great (I was never really convinced of Thrussington’s Hail Mary judgement of worn out engine. The issue was terrible aftermarket cats. But now I have lovelty refurbed injectors, and a 20 year old scrapyard cat that have produced perfect numbers).