NA and ND Camera Mount - GoPro

Not really a mod to the car, rather a mod to the Go Pro Accessories.

Made a GoPro camera mount - didn’t want to pay the asking price from a certain MX5 dealer so I bought a 42 piece set on eBay for £13 and used some of the bits to make the mount. I won’t be using some of the exotic bits (swimming with whales, parachuting clamp etc) but nevertheless the end result works. I have tried it on the Mk1 and the Mk4 and its good. I made one small tweak by adding a 5mm thick plastic spacer between the antenna base and the fitting to give it something to bite against when fitting.

On the Mk1, you can see at couple of other experiments, a clamp to the wind blocker (not in the kit below) and an elastic strap to the style bar - advantage it’s higher up and could probably be used facing forward as well.

The camera fixings are M5 and the antenna mount is M4 so I used the insert from an aftermarket aerial as the screw fixing.

EBAY GO PRO ACCESSORIES

4 Likes

Back in 2016 for a rear-view-cam on the NC I tried a strap mount with my Mobius, which is much smaller than my even older GoPro.

The last attempt used a webbing strap and I needed to paint the inside of the strap with rubber solution (Copydex was OK but not brilliant) to give it a grippy surface, otherwise it slowly crept around and the camera ended up pointing down.

Eventually I gave up trying to use it, more trouble than it was worth. :disappointed:

Thanks, all noted. The plastic base to which the strap attaches could have some of that nonslip mat underneath maybe. When I pulled the elastic strap tight, it really did hold it. It’s not webbing, the whole strap is elastic and kind of grippy. I will try it out on the next top down sortie.