NA Clutch Master cylinder removal

I am currently recommissioning my 1990 Euros that has been off the road, dry stored for 13 years. Lots to do, but one of the issues is the clutch, which feels very spongy and soggy, with black fluid in the MC reservoir. I am probably going to bite the bullet and replace both master and slave cylinders. My MC is the type with one stud captive in the cylinder and one in the bulkhead. The bulkhead one is easy to undo from under the bonnet, but the one going back through the bulkhead is more challenging. Is it easier to get access to the nut by removing the instrument pack or is the only way to come at it from the footwell? I am not as young as I was when I bought the car 24 years ago, so if it is the latter then I may need to pre-book a chiropractor!

Crawl under the dash. Its not hard with extensions. Take the seat out if necessary.

1 Like

Yeah did it last winter not too bad with seat out and panel under the steering wheel off.

Thank you. Seat out is good call. I had the panel off under the steering wheel this afternoon to suss it out and it look do-able. Master cylinder has definitely had it as there is brake fluid weeping down the clutch pedal.

2 Likes