NA indicators not working properly

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1992 NA 1.6
  2. I’m based near: Basingstoke
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: indicators!

Noticed a problem today with my indicators, and not sure what’s going on.
These are the symptoms:

• with the lights off, all indicators work fine except the right hand side repeater (looking at the front of the car). Swapped the bulb with the other side that is working and bulb is good - no power getting to the side repeater?

• with the lights turned on to the first point (sidelights only) the right hand front indicator and the side light are both illuminated

Turn the indicator on and they both flash

Turn the headlight on full and get the same as above when you turn the right indicators on

Turn the left indicators on and all work fine, but the hazard light on the dash flashes at the same time. Also, the right indicator has constant power so illuminated

I found the flasher unit and all looks ok, can’t see any bad solder joints, but could be wrong

Any suggestions as to what’s causing it? The wiring looks fine, relay HD22 is disconnected, connected it up just to make sure and still get the same problems.

Do I need a new flasher unit? I now know I need a new headlight bulb, assuming that isn’t’t causing these problems

Looks like bad earths. The lights are earthing through the other light circuits

3 Likes

Would that be the earth block under the wiper motor?

Hmm, could be, also look on the left wing, nearer the relays or the headlight, depends on the year.

Loads of stuff grounded there on a wide flat multiwire fixture, check for corrosion and damaged Black wires.

Thanks Richard - have had that block off recently and cleaned up when the washers weren’t working. Hoping they aren’t linked.
Someone has suggested 3 solder joints are dry as well - so will also give that a try

+1 for earthing problems.

So fixed the original dim headlight and strange indicators after finding a chaffed ground wire.

However, I still can’t get the side repeater to work.

Had the wing off this weekend so was able to check the wires, both of them are intact from the bulb holder to the wiring loom.
I’ve swapped the bulb holder from the other side (which is working) and still dead.
Swapped the flasher unit - still dead
Checked all fuses - still dead
Bulbs are fine - still dead
Front indicator works fine which uses the same green/black wire as the side repeater and joins the loom - if there was a problem with the circuit or flasher unit, I would expect the all 3 indicators to stop working on that side?
As it is, front and rear indicators work fine, just not that side repeater

At a loss now as to what to check next - maybe time to admit defeat and call in an auto electrician

A cheap multimeter (sub £10 from Screwfix for example) is invaluable for sorting simple problems like this. Far easier than swapping components wholesale on a ‘poke and hope’ basis. Check if the non-working bub holder has a 12v supply and then check if the bulb holder earth is good. Take it from there to trace the problem.
JS

2 Likes

Just purchased one - fingers crossed it’s a simple earth problem