NA/MK1 1.6 PAS Pump Bracket Removal

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1993 NA 1.6
  2. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Removing the PAS pump bracket

Hello All,

I was wondering whether anyone has any experience or advice in regards to removing the bracket that holds the PAS pump in place on the 1.6 NA (I believe it’s identical on the 1.8 as well as NB and NBFL) ?

I’ve currently managed to take the pump and reservoir out for to get things cleaned up and recommissioned, and I’d like to get the bracket out to have it powdercoated, but it’s almost impossible to get at the third bolt which has the pivot bolt mount in front of it.

The general gist online is that this has to be pushed out, but it looks like the only way to do that is to have the exhaust manifold out, which isn’t something I want to get tangled up in right now.

You can knock it back with a hammer, then the bolt pulls it back in when tightened. You may burr the end slightly when hitting it. “

You may be able to fashion some sort of pushing tool with a bolt or threaded Rod if you’re that way inclined I suppose.

Thanks @Roadster_Robbie, is it possible to knock it back from the front ? i.e. if I hit it with a hammer from the side visible in the picture ?

I just don’t see any way to get in round the other side with the exhaust manifold in the way.

Yes, knock it from the inside outwards. Putting something against it may prevent burring if you’re fussy.

Use the power steering long bolt and nut to pull it out.

If anyone else has stumbled across this, this is the method I ended up devising:

I sacrificed the old PAS Pivot bolt which had damaged threads, alongside another old 12mm bolt I had lying around to knock it out with a hammer.

2 Likes