NA/NB vs NC for track days and occasional road use

Hi folks
I’m new to the forum
I live in Sutton Coldfield and I’m looking for advice on which mx5 to buy for track and occasional road use.

My budget is around £6k
I don’t want to modify the car much. Just want a roll bar / cage and harness. If it’s possible to attach harness to roll bar and keep standard seats, that would be preferable. If not, I want buckets too.
I’m 6ft 1, so cabin size is a factor, especially if the roll cage eats into space.

I’ve heard of issues with warning lights and mot failure if fitting buckets in an nc mx5. Is this so? Any way around this?
Also heard the roll bar on the NC lacks rear stays, so a cage is the safer option?
Does the NA/NB accommodate roll bars with rear stays?

I don’t mind losing the electric folding soft top function. Happy to stick a hardtop on if it accommodates a roll cage / bar.

With this in mind, any advice / thoughts on which mx5 generation to go for? (na/nb/nc)

I’ve driven an na but not owned one or an nb. I went for an nc as a usable nice weather car for fast road and fun. It’s fairly civilised if not very refined. Quicker than the others with more mod cons but heavier and not as sharp as I understand. And even though I love mine I get that sorted na and nb cars can be better looking.

There’s actually a couple of nice cars for sale on here at the moment, I saw a lovely looking sport black come up today but it’s cat N due to minor damage, I wouldn’t be put off if it’s intended for track but maybe too good for that.

I have a workmate that regularly track his 2.0 nc1 and drives it there and back, brings it to work in good weather and he’s beaten the life out of it and it won’t break.

1 Like

Do you or your friend have a roll bar / cage?
There’s an NB svt sport on here for £5250 which I’m tempted by. Only thing is, I’ll have to spend extra to get a kaaz diff as the fuji is no good. There’s also an NA r-ltd edition being imported, due for sale soon which I believe will have a Torsen diff. This I think would tick the right boxes for me.
Ive driven an NB and found my thighs were up against the steering wheel. Is the NC any better at accommodating tall drivers?
I will have to fit a smaller steering wheel if I go the NA/NB route.

He doesn’t have a cage or roll bar, just coilovers and anti roll bars with upgraded discs and pads and wheels and tyres. Nc1 with 80k 2.0 lsd 5 speed. He has lowered the seat to fit a helmet on with the rag top.

There are people on here with so much experience and helpful information, I know cars but I’m a relative noob to the mx5 chassis.

I can say from my research that the nc is definitely the roomiest. Nc2/3 even more so due to deletion of the door cup holders which hit you on the leg.

Am I right in thinking the windscreen surround is stronger on nc3’s?

I own an NB and an NC. NC has more room, by quite a bit and is especially noticable on the knees. I’m not tall and I feel the difference.

NCs are dropping in price rapidly, especially the 1.8 but for track you probably want to go for a first gen 2.0 with the sports package because that LSD is worth starting out with.

However with all that said, I track the NB (because the NC is too nice) and despite it being a base model (no abs, lsd etc etc) it’s a blast. I don’t care that it’s a bit raggy, the paint is peely and the roof isn’t perfect.

Around the track none of that matters and I am less likely to cry if I send it into a wall.

If I was to start over I would do the exact same thing. Get a raggy NB for track and a nice NC for road.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply bro. I’m leaning towards the NC at the moment solely down to it having more space inside. I went and sat in one yesterday and was pleased to find my thighs weren’t up against the steering wheel. In addition the steering wheel has up down adjustability.
There are folks who try to scare people away from nc track car by highlighting airbag & seatbelt sensors resulting in mot failure. However, I’ve read that mot has exemptions if you can demonstrate car is for competition use. Also, resistors can be used to trick the ecu into thinking everything is ok, so no warning lights appear. Besides doesn’t the NB also have airbags? Hence also presents the same obstacles?

The other issue with the Nc I hear about is roll bars not having rear stays. However I have come across the cybul half cage for soft tops which does have rear stays so I’m a little confused? Anyone want to explain why roll bars in na/nb’s are seen as more robust?

You need to go sit in one, that’s the deciding factor as (depending on L to T ratio) you’ll unlikely fit in an Na or Nb.

1 Like

You can forget na/nb with a bar. It will not be safe to drive without a helmet, as your head would be able contact the bar in the event of you having a non-rollover accident (much more likely than a rollover.

1 Like

I owned an NA(MK1) and now own an NC2(MK3.5). If you have never sat in either, absolutely go sit in them before making any decision. I never tracked the NA, but it was a tight fit for me (5’11"). I took my NC out on the track for the first time last weekend and with a helmet I BARELY fit with the roof up, I ended up putting the roof down so I could sit more comfortably.

Seeing as you are 6ft1, I’d be leaning NC just based on that, although I know people get the seats lower or replace them outright. I am looking at these NC seat lowering adapters: MX5 NC Seat Lowering Adapters (Non Height Adjustable Seats)

I do not think the NA or NB came with any roll bar as standard. The NC has the “style bar” hoops, but I am looking to replace that before going back onto a race track. My NC has the PRHT, but they sell rollbars that accomodate this.

Talking comfort, the NA was an AMAZING car to drive, but it was not made for comfort. My NC on the other hand has heated seats, AC, power windows, and is generally more comfortable for long drives. For example, I drove the NC to Scotland(8.5 hrs excl stops) a month or so back and when I got there I wasn’t completely dead. If it will be your daily, I would once again lean NC.

To give you an idea of cost, I paid about £8k this Jan for mine but that was from a dealer and I was in a hurry.

Spec wise, It is a 2011 “Sport Tech” so it’s got the 6spd, 2.0l and an LSD and 55k on the clock.

If I were to do it again, I would join some local MX5 groups and see what people have to offer, I have seen cars very similar to mine for less.

Regardless of what you get, you can’t really go wrong because at the end of the day, its an MX5 :)!

1 Like

I’m not planning on driving the car much on the road, Mostly just for going to and from track days and the occasional blast around local country roads.
Does anyone drive on the road with a helmet? Might reduce visibility, but motorbike riders are able to make do.
I wouldn’t mind driving on roads with a helmet, I think it would look pretty cool :joy:.

I’ve read about the jas lowering kit for stock seats. Definitely an option. Only thing is I want bucket seats. I’ve been looking for how I might get a bucket seat low enough for an nc, without much luck. Most ppl find the buckets end up higher than stock, which is crazy.

Has anyone aware of a bracket- bucket seat combination for drivers 6ft plus?
Width isn’t a problem, I’m thin as a rake lol.

Are there any mx5 meet ups in the West Midlands area anytime soon? Would love to see some track prepared 5s.