NA/ND swap for the day?

Hi,

I own a mildly modified NA eunos import and would be interested in having a go in the latest model (ND). After loving owning the NA for the past few months, I’m considering replacing my BMW 3 series daily with an ND.

I thought I’d ask here if any ND owners would like to swap cars for a few hours on a weekend whilst the summer is here? Ideally going for a short cruise through the country side, perhaps stopping for lunch?

I find visiting dealers a bit tedious as I don’t like wasting their time if I have no intention of buying the car they have advertised.

Of course I’m happy to pay for any fuel used and fully comp insurance and would expect the same to be done for whoever would like to drive my car.

I am based in North Essex (Saffron Walden), but happy to travel / meet half way if you live far away.

Cheers,

George

Sadly I’m not local but thought I’d chime in, as I’ve driven an NA regularly that we had in the family, owned an NC, then most recently a 4series convertible which I have replaced with an ND (RF).

The ND is much closer in spirit to the NA than the NC. The NC (PRHT) was closer in spirit to the BMW - might be worth checking out a late NC?

My ND RF, despite being very “grown up” for an MX5, is much noisier than the 4series, despite both having a “solid” folded roof.

Of course, if you did want to head to the NW, we’ve got a 1.5 ND soft top and a 2.0 ND2 RF, and would always love an excuse to go for a drive out.

Unless someone was selling a car I personally I don’t know anyone who would swap their pride and joy for a few hours with someone they don’t actually know… at least I wouldn’t. Some don’t even let family borrow their car.

My proposition is to book a test drive with a dealer mate

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much about ‘wasting dealers time’ it will go down against the salesman as a test drive which is a benefit to them.

… and thanks for bringing back memories, I had a girlfriend who lived in Sewards End, lovely part of the world.

I had an NA 25 years ago… a 1.8 eunos with all the bells and whistles (exhaust, aftermarket suspension but standard engine). I now have an NC mk3.5 and honestly this car would outdrive my NA any day. On a trackday this February there was a guy following me that was on a relatively standard NA with track tyres whilst I had rubbish road tyres. There wasn’t much between us to be honest and even if I let him pass because he had a lot more grip than I did I was still with him up until he span out.

I would also book a test drive with a dealer.
I wouldn’t swap a car with someone I didn’t know, just in case a Mr/Mrs/Genderwhatever Dodgy turned up.
Get to your dealer and book a test drive. That is what they are paid for👍

1 Like

I get where the OP is coming from though. Doing a proper trip out like you would do if it was your own car is nothing like the dealership “now take the next left onto the industrial estate” 15 minute run around the block experience.

It’s a shame they don’t do them more often but I remember the Mazda UK open day I went on back in May 2017 where you had the option to take a Mk 4 out solo on a nice mix of roads following a pre set route on the sat nav. The problem is I’ve been hankering after a mk4 ever since!

1 Like

You can have a 24 hr test drive but you have to give them a lot of info to do it:

• Driving Licence No.
  • National Insurance No.
  • Postcode on driving licence.

We are looking at a CX-30 at the moment :stuck_out_tongue:

I honestly get alot of pleasure sharing my cars. My younger brother drove my first NA around the Cotswolds with his partner and loved it. All my cars since have been shared on trackdays and country lane runs to pubs in Essex.
To the OP I think it a great ideal…both owners appreciate their cars and are MX-5 enthusiasts so any risk of abuse is low.
Now lending the car to my older brother is a different story…

1 Like

It really is, some lovely B roads over towards Clare!

Fair play, I was more thinking of going out for a drive together, but swapping cars. I’m assuming that any member of the MX5OC will generally be an enthusiast so not much chance of car abuse!

Where abouts in the NW are you? I wouldn’t mind a bit of a road trip for a fun day out :smile:

No her name was Jo :crazy_face:

1 Like

As a response to all, I also get a lot of pleasure from sharing my cars with other people. I assume that many other enthusiasts also do!

There’s nothing quite like going for a drive in two different cars and then having a natter about the differences between them.

As @lordrobs mentioned, test drives can feel a bit restricted and you don’t really get a good feel for the car in 15/20 minutes.

In any case, my offer still stands to anyone who fancies it!

1 Like

I can’t help (have got an NA) but I too think it’s a good idea - was looking at a supercar the other month and whilst I wasn’t driving them I met a few people who were happy to take me out and give me much more of a feel for the car than a test drive with a dealer would do. I also share my cars with others (friends recently had one for 3 weeks, for e.g.) and would happily swap if it was to someone who I go on fine with and was through a forum like this. Random swapping on Facebook - no. Enthusiasts here sharing cars on the same roads - for sure.

1 Like