NA - Side / Indicator Lights

I bought a replacement LED fitting for the Eunos in black aluminium but decided recently that I liked the original look better.

As it was raining, I got chased out of the house and settled in the shed with a cupper; I got the old units out, along with my step-drills, a couple of ultra-bright LED’s and set about drilling and filing.

Here is a 9mm hole drilled in the back of the unit and the LED being fed through. Even though the LED is ultra-bright white, due to the yellow liner, it displays as bright yellow.

The side light was more difficult.; I opened up the hole until it was almost the same size as the rim on the LED. I then used the bench grinder to chamfer the edge of the aluminium LED holder. With a good “twist” it popped into the hole and is a tight fit. I have used a couple of dollops of glue stick on it so as to keep it firmly in place as vibration may work it loose.

The original bulb holder will have a circular blanking plate made tomorrow as well, a piece of plastic sheet glued into place.  Just need a take-away Chinese tonight so I have a plastic tub to cut up tomorrow.

I will take the other units off tomorrow, remove the ballast resistor and wire it into the new (old) units and fit. I will add a couple of pictures of the units lit up after its all done.

Neat job. Possibly lucky the white LEDs worked ok as yellow are usually recommended otherwise the lamps can be rather pale in colour. I think you may be able to save yourself some work. I suspect due to its age the NA doesn’t have bulb failure detection (even the NC doesn’t) so ballast resistors will not be needed on the side lights.
JS

1 Like

OK, despite the on/off rain, got the job finished.  The rewiring of the light units took some time but all the wiring is relatively tidy and heat-shrunk solder joints as well as waterproof plugs and sockets.  

The wiring on the car was in a bit of a state as the old indicator/sidelight unit was mesh so water went straight through and into the joints.  I had used bullet connectors and the rain got into the connectors and up the sleeving I had fitted which resulted in the water getting up into the insulation and causing it to corrode.  I replaced some of the wire, soldered and sleeved/heat-shrunk the joints and fitted waterproof plugs.  Going forward the original light units shouldn’t let water through to the same extent so, hopefully, the wiring will be kept in good order.

I took the photos when the rain stopped and the sun came out and, as usual, the camera auto adjusted the exposure so in the photos they are not as bright as “in real life”

Unit with heatshrink and balast resistor for the led indicator

New wiring and plugs

Sidelight

Indicators

With the pop-ups up and the Land Rover headlights

That’s almost it for the moment on Daisy, the side reflectors are going to be wired in next.

New mirrors in the post, windscreen rubber and bits on order from Japan (£50 posted) to replace the old rubber when the surround is painted.

1 Like

Thanks.

Resistor was needed as the relay was looking for the load and “chattered” without the resistor. Easily remedied.

Love the headlights with the circular rims lighting up!

I noticed you typed - ‘the side reflectors are going to be wired in next’;

This caught my attention as I was under the Red Mk1 myself today and spotted on the rear bumper where the side reflectors are - what looks like provision for a bulb? Behind the reflector? Is this what you are referring to? - So these can be wired up with bulbs in addition to the indicator lights?
I’ll be interested to see that!
Thanks for the step-by-step and the photos above by the way!

I had purchased some ILMotorsport white (crystal clear) side reflectors second hand about a year ago which had bulbs already fitted; I had installed the units but have not wired them up yet. My Eunos is now in the garage for the winter. It is an import (obviously) and has not been exposed to salted roads so is very clean and rust free and I intend to keep it that way if I can. It has also been waxoyl treated.

(not my car, representative image)

The original ones had blanks for where it may be possible to drill and insert an LED bulb but for the price I paid, it was easier to replace.

Looks like it will be a part of the Spring “get ready for the road” tasks!

For the winter in the garage I have increased tyre pressure up to 2.75 bar, opened the windows an inch, put a couple of moisture capture bags in the cabin, battery tender on and covered with an elasticated very soft cotton cover. It was serviced in September with oil change, new filter, new discs and brakes all around.

1 Like