NA - Side Repeaters

Got these . . . £20 on wish.com. I need to match the ND!

Managed to prepare all of the side repeaters by adding wires and connectors to them, and making them waterproof.

Disassembled the left headlight and sidelight units and remade all of the existing solder connections to incorporate the new wiring for the side repeaters. This took longer than I had anticipated so only the front left hand side has been completed by the end of the day yesterday.

This is the LED headlight with the sidelight ring illuminated (headlights off), and the LED switchback sidelight plus the new yellow side repeater.

Got the right hand front done first thing this morning, I redid all of the solder joints from when I fitted the LED headlights, they were showing some corrosion/dust. I heat shrunk the joints and then double layered another heat shrink sleeve - should do the job!

The rear left was easy, under the jack was a rubber bung straight to the outside world so threaded the wires through the bung, connected to the new repeater and into the rear light housing where I scotch-locked the leads. The scotch lock I used was a two-part type, cramp onto the power and then connect the repeater via a spade terminal. This makes removing wiring etc very easy.

The rear right was a little more challenging at first as the battery is on a shelf and I couldn’t see an easy way to the outside. Then I looked and saw the little vent pipe for the battery. I have a sealed-for-life battery that doesn’t need a vent. The pipe popped out and I used a grommet with the wires pushed through a small slit made with a bradle.

All done.

The sun came out as I was taking the photos so the LED’s don’t show as bright as they are; also photographing LED’s is not so easy as the phone compensates for the brightness. I will try and get some pics when its dark.

Overall, I’m very pleased with the effect.

The front sidelight / indicator uses a “switchback” LED bulb so white on sidelight and yellow when indicating; they are very bright and make great DRL’s - so much brighter than the original side light bulb.

I purchased these from MX5Parts, they are the indicator units with NO sidelight.

3 Likes

nice work.
so you’ve now got 5 indicators on each side, instead of the normal 3 right?

No, the bumper lights are wired to the sidelights so are on all the time.

Early Evening Shots

1 Like

so they are side lights then. not indicators?

Yes. You could wire the as indicators, but you would need 4 x yellow.

As side lights, 2 x yellow and 2 x red.

1 Like

As I was doing the work, I realised the indicators were rather dim in comparison . . what to do? . . LED THEM, of course.

Quick visit to Amazon for LED yellow BA15S bulbs and two 60 ohm resistors to stop the hyperflash. 20 minutes later . . .

Right Hand Indicator off/on

Hazards . .

Dare someone to say that they didn’t see me indicating!

2 Likes