Na soft top window

Hi all,

Has anyone fitted a NB heated glass window into the back of an Na soft top? My plastic window has recently cracked and a cheap glass one is available nearby, wondered if it might to do the job

Cheers

I don’t think the Mk2 factory window can be retrofitted to a Mk1 hood. There are or were kits to add a glass window to a factory Mk1 hood (early ones used a 2CV rear window, which is flat glass, so looked a bit odd (sagging). I doubt there are many factory Mk1 hoods left, and aftermarket hoods generally differ from the factory design.

I’ve seen this done on an american forum several years ago so you may find it by searching for miata information.

It actually made me buy a mk2 window with the aim of doing it myself, but I never got round to it and I learnt my car is missing the majority of the bits for the heated window to be functional anyway - though seeing out of the back window would be nice ;).

My own hood is a replacement bought by a previous owner and has a zip down hood (don’t know how the originals work) that lays flat before you put the roof down so I figured it would work okay since you’d replace the existing window with fabric for reinforcement, then stitch in the mk2 window to the new fabric for support, cut out a hole, more stitching to bring the two together, and hopefully all is okay - though I did read online you need some form of additional thread or something to pull the window upwards to take the pressure off the existing hood material when the hood is up.

I did also wonder what the insurance company would say if I had done it, after all it is a modification.