NA Window Regulator - Worm Drive

My new to me 93 Eunos has windows that are either slow to move up or don’t move up at all. I was pretty confident I’d have this sorted pretty quicky with some cleaning and regreasing but I’m getting nowhere.

I’ve only looked at the driver side so far and when taking the door panel off I found an aftermarket worm drive type regulator. I also found the guide bobbin on the window and disappeared and that the seal on the vertical channel that the front of the window runs up and down in had become detached at the bottom. I took everything out. Cleaned and greased everything. Silicon spray in the seal channel Tested the motor out of the car, it seems fine. Reseated the vertical seal as best I could (it doesn’t seem to want to stay in at the bottom), put everything back together, and… no better! I’ve tried loosening everything off and adjusting but it doesn’t seem to make any difference. It seems to run okay toward the top of the window travel, last 3-4 inches but gets worse and worse the lower it goes. It will get to the bottom on it’s own but needs help to up from there. I’ve not investigated the passenger side yet but the behaviour seems similar.

I have a pair of manual winders so I’m tempted to temporarily install that just to check everything move freely in the guide and seal. I’d happily have manual windows full stop but I have the teardrop speaker covers and the handles will foul on them. I could get the basic door cards but that seems a last resort for now.

So what else should I try? Replace the whole motor/regulator? I’m okay doing that but not yet 100% convinced I don’t have an issue elsewhere as the motor seems to run so freely on it’s own. Are non oe regulators like this okay?

Also, anyone have a link to where I can buy the seal that sit on the vertical channel at the front of the window and goes right down into the depth of the door?

Well, to draw a line under this, I trial fitted a manual mechanism and it worked perfectly. So my worm drive regulator was knackered and I’m expecting the same on the other side. I’ve ordered some door cards with the regular speaker grills and will run with manual windows for the time being. If I don’t like the look of those cards or get fed up of not having electric windows, I can always swap back over and buy new regulators at a later date but I actually quite like the simplicity of keep fit windows.

1 Like

Good term… :grinning: