‘Nancy’ the NC1 Diary

So I figured I’d start a build thread for my newly acquired MX5. I’ve done similar with various Z3’s and Z4’s I’ve owned in the past and its a good place to keep track of progress and get advice along the way.

Two weeks ago I purchased my first ever MX5. A 2007 NC PRHT in Stormy Blue. The car is on just shy of 108k miles and when viewing, seemed to check out in the usual places I’ve discovered need looking at.

It didn’t come with too much physical service history - last being a service in 2019 for oil, coolant and a new thermostat and housing. Also a note on the from ARB drop links being noisy. What I found out since is there’s an MX5 digital app and this showed me regular servicing if not many miles driven for the past 4 or 5 years.

In the relatively short time of owing the car I’ve replaced the dipstick for a readable one (thanks for the advice), and made sure the oil is 2-3mm above the max mark (and will always be this way!).

The short drives I’ve done definitely require attention on those drop links, so I’ve booked replacements and a full, plugs, diff oil, transmission oil etc service at Freelance Mazda in Chatham as they seem to have great reviews and living in SE London, are a lot closer to me than the legendary MX5Restorer.

Whilst there, they will also take a look at my throttle as it seems to rev slightly up on upshifts. I’ll get them to look at all bushes and other potential problem points as I aim to get this car silky smooth again. Previous owners not driving it seems to have tightened things up, but I know its under there somewhere!

Lastly, I’m going to get a couple of the small dents removed (one on the front OS wing, one on the rear NS wing and one on the [aluminium?] boot lid, before fitting 4 x new tyres (likely Kumho Ecstas) and giving it a good machine polish after filling in some of the stone chips.

What else would you recommend - either whilst in for service or subtle mods? My ///M car days are behind me and I want a fun RWD LSD experience that doesn’t destroy the ride too much, so race coilovers are probably out - but uprated ARBs, tuning, burbling catback exhaust etc all up for debate.

2 Likes

Looking forward to following your progress :ok_hand:

1 Like

you might want to check/replace scuttle gromits and
also the radiator expaqnsion tank. Has the FL22 coolant been changed?

Search and google will tell you all

1 Like

Took her out for my first proper run on some B roads today.

I totally get the MX5 thing now.

Steering weight, seemingly no understeer, the need to rev the engine to get the best out of her - it was a fun experience as I navigated my way around the backroads of North Kent in the sunshine. Far more confidence inspiring than my 3.0 Z4s. The 2.0 power is perfect for the size of the car and it was fantastic.

Treated her to a wash when I got home and cant wait to get back out there. After 20 years driving BMW straight sixes, I’m a convert.

Noticed the passenger side light cluster had a small piece of plastic missing from the black surround, so being the OCD type I ordered a second hand unit from eBay. Turned up yesterday and fitting was a breeze. Lots of leaf debris in the original so took the opportunity to remove the drivers side too and clean up.

If anyone needs a rear passenger side cluster and don’t mind the cracked black plastic part I’ll be selling on soon.

Bought a replacement Stormy Blue drivers side wing mirror from eBay for £50 and got around to fitting it today. The one on the car worked but was held together by a large self tapping screw and quite a bit of black silicone. Door card off, old mirror removed and new one fitted in around 20 mins. Loving the Mazda simplicity so far!

1 Like

Busy few days. Just back from Freelance Mazda in Chatham (highly recommended) for full once over and service - oil, filter, plugs, diff oil, air filter and engine flush. Also had the clutch pedal adjusted, updated the DSR, new rear pads and two new front ARB drop links - all updated on the Mazda system.

Apparently shes in good nick underneath with no rust issues beyond a bit of surface, so at some point I’ll look to get the underneath cleaned, protected and cavity filled.

Next job - install my USB powered bluetooth system and investigate fruity backbox options.

Oh hello! Were/are you on the Z4 Forum?

I agree - I still have my E86 3.0Si Sport and have much more confidence in pushing my MX-5 as well, although mine is an ND and now modified.

Hi MikeyC. Same forum name on the Z4F. Last one I had was a Monaco Blue 3.0 coupe which was lovely but I sold as we were moving house…which didnt happen so I wanted another car, hence the MX5 scratched itch. Obvs down on power but the steering weight and involvement on back roads of the NC is a real eye opener.

1 Like

Thought while I was at it I’d fit the AUX BT solution I’d come up with.

AUX cable fitted to the back of the OEM stereo with a female AUX end, then plugged in a male AUX cable with dash port to that and drilled a hole next to the 12v port. Finally I plugged in a short AUX BT powered USB dongle to talk to my phone.

iPhone is mounted via MagSafe holder wired to the second USB port with cabling routed and hidden. Selected AUX on the head unit and all seems to work well. Slight buzzing but I think thats to do with the double USB cigarette lighter plug I’m using. The BT dongle also acts as a microphone for handsfree calling.

Quick update on the BT dongle. I bought a £10 ground loop isolator that has solved the buzzing problem completely. Plugged in between the dongle and AUX port. Just need to route and hide it all behind the trim.

Also received delivery of a new battery clamp, two replacement scuttle grommets and two new rear reg plate light units from MX5parts today.

For this last part, I plan to remove the boot lid, remove the rust around where the current reg light units fit, prime and paint before fitting the new parts.

I have a similar little
Bluetooth dongle with attached aux cable. But have since replaced it with a proper head unit. If anyone fancies it for free to try the same solution, they’re quite welcome to it

1 Like

Halfway through some minor rust repair to my PRHT boot lid. Started off removing all rust, using some rust converter and then fashioning a small piece of steel under the area most affected, epoxied in and then levelled with a small amount of filler.

Then cleaned up and today i finished off with two thin layers of self etch primer. Next up will be some high build primer before more sanding, then painting and lacquering.

Replacement registration lights are LED from MX5 parts so should hopefully end up a hell of a lot better than it started off.

The previous owner had the clever idea of super glueing the light units in (!)

Just finished the final coat of clear lacquer. After much sanding, two coats of etch primer, two coats of high build filler primer, two coats of 35J Stormy Blue paint and now three coats of clear coat, she’s now curing before I reinstall the boot lid on the car this weekend - complete with new LED registration lights.

Very satisfying job. Highly recommended.

3 Likes

Job complete. Refitted the boot-lid and will be leaving open for a few days to ensure the paint and clear coat are completely cured before meeting the lower boot rubber.

THE LED units look great too. Really clean and cool white light.

For those wishing to do the same job, I followed this video from Car Thought, Not more rust?! - DIY corrosion repair Mazda MX-5 - YouTube

5 Likes

Been a while since I updated my thread. Since doing the boot lid renovation (still looks immaculate), I’ve managed to find a second hand set of 17 inch OEM wheels which I’m planning to also renovate and maybe also spray up at home. [orders 4 packs of playing cards from Amazon in prep]

Minimal other stuff I’ve done. New wipers really :laughing: - just tried to enjoy the car as much as possible really. I spent a week home in Suffolk recently so plenty of opportunities to get her dirty.

Jobs to do next: I’m toying with spraying up the rear lights so they’re all red aside from the reverse circle. Deep clean the interior and when the whether gets better, paint correction. Also need to clean the seatbelts and degrease the engine bay. Most jobs for the springtime to be honest.

Toying with 30mm lowering springs but the ride is so good on rubbish roads I’m not yet 100% convinced. Would love a Cobalt back box when they finally get back in stock at Moss. They’re still on backorder, so I’ve ordered one and just waiting for it to arrive.

Anyway, here are a couple of pictures from the Suffolk countryside.