National Rally

Just been looking on the map regards where Kelmarsh Hall is and  it looks like alot of us will be using the A14 from the M1 junction ( Other roads are available please say on here if there are ) members from the west that is. So are any area clubs planning on doing a convoy from there area where the convoy could get bigger the nearer to the rally we get . I can only imagine what it would look like if we virtually took up the A14 on the last leg up to the rally.

One of the problems with a convoy is that the front vehicle has to go slowly while the one at the back is often well over the speed limit just trying to keep up! (We did a mathematical analysis on the mechanics of traffic flow and the effects of disturbances when at Uni; they called it Solid Waves. After that I changed my driving style to break Hookes Law.)

I like to think of the convergence of many hundreds MX5s on Kelmarsh as being more like a flash flood…

I’m driving up from West London leaving home at a nice ‘early’ hour (09.00) for M25, M1 and eventually exiting M1 at 15A (Services where I can put the lid down, 10.00) on A5123, then A428 (or alternatively Bants Lane etc), then A508, and will not be hanging about, unless/until I find a suitable convoy to tag onto nearer to Kelmarsh - perhaps on the A508 above Northampton. Lid up on M1, hopefully hid for the rest. It is still an hour and a half on the legal limits, hence no dawdling.

But the M1 and M25 will be a lot slower returning along with all the other Londoners in the Sunday Evening Crush. So going home it will be A43, M40 to Wycombe, optional A40 to home to avoid the queues for M25 etc.

SWMBO is otherwise occupied Sunday and cannot go to to Kelmarsh, so I will have a spare seat for a passenger or bits etc.

I believe that there are 4 of us conveying from Colchester. Unsure as to the exact route but if people want to join us you are more than welcome. 

We are leaving Sunday morning. 

it is worth noting that the M1 / M6 / A14 Junction is in roadworks mode at the moment while they are reorganising the way those 3 roads meet - it is simple enough to get through and is Average speed zone, but you may wish to make any plans to meet further away from it for the moment.

Thanks for reminding us Ian it’ll be interesting to see which route the various clubs take. Given the time we’ll all be aiming to get there for I wouldn’t have thought there would be much of a hold up hopefully.

From the SWM area most will use the A14