Naturally Aspirated Power - Who Has Achieved What?

Hi All.

So as per the tile really - am interested to see what naturally aspirated power / torque levels people have achieved, and how you have achieved it!

Can be peak power, or aiming for a specific power at a point in the Rev range etc - just thought it would be cool to hear what’s been achieved and how!

Discus! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve only ever had a car dyno’d once, and that was for a bit of fun. But I was shocked at the results.

It was a 1991 Eunos Roadster, 140k miles, 14 BTDC, ARc cross over pipe, home brew HKS intake with dryyer ducting, Rover Metro headlamp scoop, Japanese (Tanabe?) 4-2-1 header, Mongoose catback.

125 peak bhp. No other details, it was a long while ago.

I was shocked. Doubly so when a late 1.8 Mk1 in the same session was also 125hp, and Mk2 was 140.

So that Roadster had a good motor.

I recall Bob Hall (“Father of the Miata”) recounted that Mazda got 150hp out of a 1.6, using hotter cams, exhaust, custom computer and Mazda MPV hot wire mass air sensor, and it stayed California legal.

1 Like

Speed is a question of money…how fast do you want to go? how much do you want to spend?

I have a mk4 N/A that was dyno’d at 262 bhp
We built it for an event that was cancelled. Bloody covid…
BUT…yep you guesses
I have receipts for 20k

3 Likes

Nearly forgot…silly me
Then there is the sequential box & diff etc £15k

2 Likes

I have an NC 2.0 with BBR Super 200 that now produces 210 bhp and red-lines at 7200 rpm. Before a full engine rebuild it was dyno’d at 198 bhp. Next spring I’m planning to have ITBs and sports backbox fitted which the BBR team reckons it’ll rev to 7800 rpm and could achieve close to 240 bhp.

2 Likes

Hi folks,
I have a Eunos 1994 1800 which has 169 Bhp 135ft lbs Torque, running a self built Mongrel engine with Piper 285 cams and ITBs.
I will develop it further with a forged bottom end and higher rev limit as funds allow, it drives very well and pulls loads better than my stock 1800 with 130 Bhp.
I am investigating having a billet crankshaft made with a shorter than stock stroke and maximum bore to make an oversquare high reving engine.
I know of one engine in a Mk2 which is over 200 Bhp on ITBs.

3 Likes

My ND BBR Super 220 figures below. Fitted with BBR catted manifold and BBR GT rear silencer. Standard mid section exhaust. Quick enough for me!

1 Like

350rwhp from an NB turbo on E85 with a 3071 turbo at 25psi in Australia, so maybe 400 at the flywheel.
205hp from a BBR200 NC2 in the UK.
On the road I prefer the NC. It is 95% a road car. The NB was 70% a track car.

1 Like

Impressive yes. Naturally aspirated ? No. :wink:

The NC is normally aspirated with intake, cams, manifold, exhaust, backbox and remap. I mentioned the turbo NB as a comparison, and particularly because I prefer the NC.

1 Like

I’ve the standard BBR 200 kit on mine (cat-less manifold, cams, K&N, Back box, re-map), gets 205Hp. Would love a bit more lower down the rev range to be honest but it still moves nicely!

It was a learning curve going from the turbo car to the n/a one. The turbo one would pull quite hard from 30mph in 6th, whereas the n/a car wants 3rd gear to get the same effect. I’m always in at least one gear lower, often two lower in the n/a, hence it isn’t as good on fuel on the road as the turbo. It makes up for it by not eating brake pads, discs, and tyres though.

As somebody once told my son, you cant take it with you…

I am seriously considering swapping my 3 year old Golf GTI and my NA 1.6 MX5 (pain getting it out of the garage and always fixing the rust) for a 1-2 year old ND with the 2 litre 184BHP engine. Is it worth the BBR NA upgrade and what sort of money are we talking?

Thanks,

Ian

NC3.5-Racing Beat manifold, Pipercross panel filter in original housing and remap. 181 BHP and
156 lbs/ft and improved throttle response.
Only downside is fuel consumption which has gone through the floor as I use more of the power more of the time.
I usually change the oils at 6K but think I’ll drop it to 4K to give the motor a chance.(just gone through 70K miles)

I ended up with 189.8hp in my NC1.

That’s BBR manifold and racing beat back box. I have since had the centre section switched to the BBR variant too, so hoping that gives me the 0.2hp! Feels fun/sprightly enough on the roads near me. That was 3yrs ago now and it hasn’t missed a beat since. All in, probably cost ~£3k, so very expensive hp/£, but worth every penny in my eyes! Recall gaining 30hp from a £400 remap in a previous turbo car, making NA power feel relatively expensive :woozy_face:

Otherwise have focused on other items to keep it fun. Decent tyres, WIM alignment on Eibach springs (saving up for coilovers) and all the less exciting maintenance to protect it from rotting, on top of the usual servicing.

I’ve been very close to taking it back to BBR for the Super 200 kit for the added power. Another 20hp that Hien had achieved would feel very exciting on the road! Perhaps that’s on the wishlist for 2021…

Post 17

2 Likes

Rebelred, when you say BBR exhaust does that mean the full system, backbox, middle section and manifold? What maximum torque did you get? I find it extraordinary (and disappointing for me) that you got the same power as my ND Super 220 (215 bhp) which also includes new camshafts and valve springs and considerably more expense!

1 Like

Hi
We’ve had our ND done with the supper 220, with full BBR exhaust (catted manifold, centre section and sports rear box)
We were dyno’d at 221 .
Would seem Rebelred has a very good engine as matched yours and nearly mine without the expense of the cams etc
Would have liked to have known what mine would have been with the Super 200

1 Like

Post 20

2 Likes