NB Facelift, Door Glass Seals

1. My model of MX-5 is: NB, Facelift 2.5 Sport
  2. I’m based near: __Towcester
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: _Door to Window Glass Seal

Some two years ago, I replaced the door to window seals on my NB Facelift Sport. I bought the car new, in 2004. Whilst there is no problem with the nearside strip, then the drivers side has a 1,0 mm gap, for about 100mm of it’s length, just rearward of the _vertical glass guide.
I have tried to coax the seal back into contact with the glass, by lowering the glass and placing a medium weight object onto the rubber. I have repeated this, typically on a warm, sunny day and although, initially, the rubber then contacts the door glass, after a day or so, the gap reappears .
Any ideas please? Any suggestions and assistance gratefully received…
tyton11

1 Like

My Mk3 door weather strip (across the top of the door) has been fettled. The sealing rubber, well really the rubber seal that the glass slides against was a loose fitting, the glass rattled as I drove along. Remedy, I inserted a section flexible curtain rail (the white coated springy stuff) down the centre of the seal as it was hollow. Sealed the ends with silicone seal, job done no more rattles.
If the Mk2 seal is of the same construction try it. Of course I think they are available new, the whole strip from the dealer.

Probably one of the retaining clips has broken. Mx5 parts do the clips on their own for the oe seal but not sure about the aftermarket one, they do both types.

Hello MickAP, Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I don’t really think this is my problem, as I bought genuine new seals, two years back,
Thanks anyway,

tyton11

Phoenix22, Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. As you may well know, the genuine seals do come complete with clips. I did take great care with the fitting, bought about by my considerable time spent in top level , motorsport engineering, which you wouldn’t be aware of.
I will take heed though and carry out a check; however the main body of the seal, that sits on the door, is perfectly aligned; rather, it is just the upper, curved form , sealing edge that continues to , ‘walk’ away from the window glass.
Thanks again,
tyton11