Nb mods

Hi has anyone done the Rocketeer v6 conversion to their car, that I can have a look at, as I want to do this to mine.

Mine is a 2004 1.8

Thanks Ian

You are too late to buy one of their kits:

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postsm801087_Rocketeer-V6-MX5.aspx#post801087

Hi yes I know about the kit situation they sent me an email just before xmas, but I want to see clearances etc! Some of it I’m planning to make myself some of it I can get from the US ie cross member and the diff mods but I  want to see it is worth doing or just go for a Lexus V8. Thanks Ian ps I’m north London/Essex borders

Wow! one brave man… Ive seen the car throttle guy’s doing just this on a MK1 called Phill. God knows how they actually did it on a drive way? Id love to do this to my NB, but Allas money and ability evade me. Good look in your quest. Please keep us updated with your progress.

I too was looking at the Rockteer modification. Having nearly finished a complete body shell restoration for it to go into, I then got the pre-Christmas email. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: not best pleased.
So I am open for suggestions, currently I have the same model as Ian without the engine and other parts that I would not have needed, but do not have the £12k to get Rocketeer to build me a turn key v6.
Suggestions please…

Hi, had an email from Rocketeer guys to say they are now going to sell the v6 jag kits again.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up, but I already talked myself into a turbo conversion on basis of cost vs power gain.

Hi I supercharged mx mx5 lol sounds great

Hi chaps
Decided to go for the v8 route, so brought a Lexus Ls400 stripped most out just waiting for my neighbour to lift it out with his tele handler as the ground is to muddy for a hoist will keep you updated, I do know there are a couple ready done, so if anyone know anyone how owns one of them I would like to see one for clearance etc. Thanks Ian

1 Like

Seen this done& thought that looks a great idea. It would be something I would love to do even just for the v8 soundtrack. Keep us posted how it goes.

Hello Ian
How is this progressing? Do you have a plan yet?

Hi, yes it is progressing ok, not as quick as I would like but hey!! Stripped out the mazda engine/gearbox and front suspension, Got a sump for it from F1Moto nr Brands Hatch, had to drill a couple of holes for the pickup pipe and tap them, hopefully I will test fit over the weekend so I can mockup the engine and gearbox mounts,I try and remember to take some photos,

Hi all,
I’ve been told that a front anti roll bar from a nissan 240sx will fit a MX5 does anyone know? As I might need a bit more clearance at the front thanks Ian

No idea, but could you not just extend the mounting towers to move the original ARB lower?

Hi got the engine in over the weekend, its a bit tight, but does fit! was going to muck up engine mounts tonight but raining, I will try and remember to take photos or video but normally dirty or trying to get something to fit (would be handy if we had 3 arms!!)
anyway I need a pair of Soarer exhaust manifolds and more clearance for the front anti roll bar. Thanks Ian

1 Like

V8 - that’s seriously impressive.
What capacity is it, is it particularly compact??

hi,
its 4.0 litre, its nice and compact 32v ohc approx. 280bhp, so should be fun in a straight line as well as the bends!! can’t wait, I like the little car, just not fast enough.
thanks Ian

1 Like

Hi,
The Lexus V8 engine gearbox is all in and looking good, just the wiring and exhaust down pipes to do, exhaust I’m not worried about can either do myself or my local exhaust place can make in stainless, it’s just the wiring, I cannot seem to get a 2004 nb wiring diagram for UK or even Europe I can get a North USA one ok but not sure if all the pinouts will be the same? The Lexus one was no problem, anyone got one or know where I can get one Thanks Ian