NC 2.0 Cobalt short shift kit, a word to the wise

Hi guys

I wanted to share my experience with the Cobalt short shift kit.
I know there is plenty on this topic already, but I wanted to add to this.

I should preface this with my opinion that the standard shifter is fantastic. If it aint broke, don’t fix it, right? Yes, right. But I am always trying to improve on things and frankly like to tinker and modify so I thought why not give it a go!

I installed the short shifter last December. The install is fairly easy, but it does take some finagling to get the feel of the shifter just right.

Along with the short shifter, I have also used a 2" extension with a Jass Performance teardrop shift knob.
Attached is an old picture, I have since tidied it up a bit and it looks a lot nicer now.

The shift is very nice, slick, and snickerty, exactly as I was hoping.

The downside is the additional noise, which has two different issues.

1. The loud rattle seemingly caused by the internal reverse lockout spring (I have fixed this and will explain how below)
  2. The overall buzz/ vibration though the shifter due to lack of damping (I have not fixed this(yet))

The loud rattle caused by the reverse lock out spring has been fixed through the use of some small pieces of high performance foam with a very high rebound (I work for a foam manufacturer).
At first, I though this was the only issue, and I was pleased when it was fixed.

However as time went on, I began to notice more and more the residual buzz, which turns into a high frequency loud buzz at high revs (4.5k+).

This seems to be due to the fact that there is no damping on the cobalt shifter. I have tried to add some additional foam around the shaft under the gaiter, but this had had little to no affect.

My next step is to do a gearbox oil change, to see if that reduces the inherent vibrations coming thought the gearbox, but I somehow doubt it.

The reason for sharing this really is to give anyone considering the shifter a word of warning.

The shift is defiantly improved, but like all mods it comes with a price! I would personally not recommend this product currently. If I do manage to remove or reduce the buzz further, I will report back.

I hope this is of interest to someone.

If not, I’ll get my coat!

Antony

1 Like

No use to me I’m afraid, and I’m perfectly happy with the standard shifter, but ve no doubt someone else will find this useful, if not today, then some time in the future.

Sounds like an awful lot of monkeying around and as you personally wouldn’t recommend it, I think I’ll pass.

Good to try these things but even better to share… thanks.

On the subject of both ‘sharing and shifting’ I have to tell you about my new weighted shifter on my mk2.5 Euphonic. I got a new knob from an outfit called Likewise in Australia.

it’s probably added 20% to the weight of the car but as its nearly in the middle I guess the 50/50 distribution is safe…

Having done a few cosmetic bits inc a professional turbo conversion this has been the best mod yet and taken the driving pleasure up several notches…not to mention smoothed over the yawning journey from 2nd to 3rd.

Much to my wife’s dismay I’ve invested many hours in researching the right knob…pretty sure a couple on the table next to us one afternoon left after coming in ear shot a knob conversation and my insistence that my wife told me which one she preferred…context is everything!

Anyway, enough monologuing…I can highly recommend!

1 Like

do you think adding the 2" extention has made things worse? have you tried without that

Hi

Yes it defiantly has amplified things, and the new shift knob is also a lot lighter than the original.

I tried the kit with the original shifter and the buzzing is much reduced, but still there.

I am going to order a new heavier/ longer shifter to see how that goes.

The OEM shifter is too short for the short shift kit for my preference.

I may be being a bit simple here, but is not the point of the ‘short shifter’ to reduce the ‘throw’ of the lever and reduce the distance your hand has to move so making for a faster change? By lengthening the lever you are now making the distances longer so defeating the point of the modification.
A puzzled Yorkshireman.
:heart:

4 Likes

That’s what puzzles me, when I saw the picture I thought it’s extended it. Having read properly an extension has been added, does that in fact make it a long shifter, just saying?

2 Likes

Literally that’s what’s happened.

Fits short shifter to gain shorter throw.
Fits extension to increase throw

:joy:

1 Like

Glad it is not just me then.
:heart:

Pretty much, yes. :crazy_face:

I’m glad to provide some light entertainment :sweat_smile:

The throw is still shorter than original, but is objectively tighter and more positive and “snikerty”.

It buzzes with or without the extension, but the buzz is amplified by the extension for obvious reasons.

1 Like

I have IL Motorsport engine mounts and powerflex diff mounts plus powerflex steering bushes and all subframe, arm bushes. My knob likes to shake already :joy:

Hmmmm. When I was a young apprentice motor mechanic in the early 1970s, I was often to be found tinkering around with my cars like this.

Having been forced to give up my mechanics job in the late 80s because of a back issue, I became very out of touch with the technological advancements (!) with cars from then on, and to be honest, approaching my 70th birthday this year, and been out of the trade for decades now, the thought of messing around with a modern car scares the **** out of me ! I don’t even do my own servicing.

I actually think that my NC is the perfect car for me, and will not even entertain any mods whatsoever. But my hat goes off to you younger owners that are quite happy to modify your steeds to make them just a bit more individual.

Good luck to you all !

@seedlessjasm, I like that shifter.

I have seen likewise, I may give them a go next…

whats the worst that can happen? Break a few clips, lose a few bolts… this isnt timing the engine for example, which is also very easy on these cars… well the NC what i have.
i once flooded my bmw when i was younger and had to pay the £600 for the dealer to sort it out… its only money but you learn alot from your mistakes - i wont be fitting a sub and amp the wrong way again haha

Why go for a shorter shift but then add an extension to the lever? Seems counter productive to me. Just need an explanation by the way, whatever floats your boat.

Hi

Good question. Well made.

Basically, I started with the extension as I found the standard shift was too short and uncomfortable.

But when I added the extension I found the shift to be really sloppy, so added the short shifter to tighten things up.

I really like the feel of the shift now, but the buzzing is quite annoying.

More to come in the next few weeks.

Antony