NC 2014 "shift up" light

1. My model of MX-5 is: __nc3 25th anniversary
  2. I’m based near: Norwich
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: _Disabling the “shift up” light on dash

Hello, I have just bought a 25th anniversary edition NC and find the “shift up” light very annoying.

Can it be turned off and how do I do it?

Thanks

There’s (unfortunately) no way to turn it off.

You’ll get used to it (I have on my 25AE and on my previous 3.75), or you could stick a bit of black tape on the instrument cluster.

I also suspect (could be wrong…) that it’ll be an LED soldered into the cluster, so doubt that the old trick of opening up the cluster and removing the bulb would be feasible.

Thanks for your help Philip.

Disappointing to hear it cannot be turned off so hopefully I will get used to it. Apart from that, it is a brilliant car.

Most new cars have it. I learn to ignore it fairly quickly. If I used the gears they suggest, like 5th gear uphill at 30mph, I’d turn the main bearings oval!

Now that is interesting, as both our NDs will pull cleanly from under 30MPH in 6th gear. Obviously you do not get pushed back in your seat but it is more than adequate to keep up with the normal flow in traffic.

Certainly the Mazda change down signal is NOT just speed based, if you are over using the torque it knows and suggest different change down speeds dependant on load.
:heart:

Interesting; I find my AE30RF is unhappy at 30 in 6th. Works fine but just feels wrong, yes it will pull away but much happier tootling in 5th.
I don’t really notice the change gear indicator, or just ignore it as seems to have been programmed by pre-war “get into top and stay there” mentality! :rofl: