NC 6-Speed Reverse Light Switch - Gearbox Out?!!

Hi All,

My reverse light has stopped working - its not the bulb and the rest of the rear lights are working so not a fuse (unless there’s a fuse just for the reverse light that I dont know about??)

Had a look at the workshop manual published online and it seems to say its a gearbox out job to change?! Is that right or is there a way of changing it on the drive without the gearbox coming out?

Cheers,

TMW.

Never heard of one failing in the past, unless someone like Robbie Roadster has had this problems when he was working on the tools in a Mazda Dealer it looks like you may have to get your car in the air to find out.

I would advise you approach a local garage to get it on their lift to assist in your discovery.

Not familiar with this specific MX5 gearbox but normally the reverse light works off a switch that is attached to the outside of the gearbox.

It will be the switch that needs replacing rather than the gearbox internal that actuates it, so relax:-)

I found this…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Mazda-MX5-2009-2015-Reverse-Light-Switch-6-Speed-P60217640/302439853016?fits=Model%3AMX-5&hash=item466ad1ebd8:g:dFkAAOSwEfBZrS2m

Just found this thread, so it is access to the switch that is the issue?..

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=622659

If this were my problem I would be tempted to cut an access panel into the transmission tunnel to access the switch. 

Interesting fault - but at the end of the day it’s not an MOT failure, so not really viable to repair if it does transpire to be a box out job.

good luck, Colin

Reversing lights are not obligatory under UK law and they are not part of the MOT.  However, there is a requirement that if fitted it must work and you could end up with a ticket if it’s not.  The maximum number of reversing lamps allowed is two and the maximum wattage for the bulb in each is 24w, if you fit leds that would be around 6w each.

Hi 

just too confirm its 100% not anything todo with an mot 

and if you cant see in the dark reversing , switch your rear fog lamp on and the hazard warning lights its great how much extra light they give off even thou the hazards are flashing 

i would love too see a police officer inforce that 

If they pull you over for anything and they’re being “thorough” they will check everything, and if there is something amiss they will book you, that is a fact and I have a traffic cop in the family who will verify that.

PS: For “thorough” read “bloody minded”!

i have no doubt they would try , my argument which stems from the mot as well would be  ,

if a 3rd brake light (eye level one) on a test isnt working at all it isnt a fail one simple reason is you cant prove that its a 3rd brake light if its not illuminating with the foot brake , my argument would stand with mr plod if they tried too book me for a reverse light not working ie prove what ever your looking at is a reverse light 

apart from that in all the years ive been driving ive never been asked too put a car into reverse on a road side check too see if the reverse light is working 

also if they spent more time on patrol maybe there wouldnt be so many bad drivers about and thats a fact

And your right about bloody minded ??

If there’s a light on the reverse of a car with a clear lens it is a reversing light, no other type is allowed, and if  a spot or something else were fitted then you would be in serious trouble,  But you’re right inasmuch as they unlikely to pull you, but if they do…?

Disclaimer:  I am not a lawyer, my interpretation of a partial reading of the he Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 could be wrong and must not be relied on!

Regulation 23, below, appears to be the one that basically say that if a lamp or device is there, it has to work properly.

However - there is a list of lights etc. to which this applies, and the ‘Reversing lamp’, which is defined in the Regulations, is not on it.  So my interpretation is that it doesn’t need to work.

In practical terms, a reversing light is pretty handy to let people know that you are reversing, or want to reverse.  Illuminating the way behind is less of a problem, just use the hazard lights.

I wouldn’t be taking the gearbox out.  I might think about rigging a switch to use it manually, although that might not be as simple as it once was.

The link to the regulations is here

There are references to “Reversing lamp” in other places if you want to search for them.  I just remembered why I didn’t want to be a lawyer.

Maintenance of lamps, reflectors, rear markings and devices

23.—(1) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle unless every lamp, reflector, rear marking and device to which this paragraph applies is in good working order and, in the case of a lamp, clean.

(2) Save as provided in paragraph (3), paragraph (1) applies to–

(a)every–
(i)front position lamp,
(ii)rear position lamp,
(iii)headlamp,
(iv)rear registration plate lamp,
(v)side marker lamp,
(vi)end-outline marker lamp,
(vii)rear fog lamp,
(viii)retro reflector, and
(ix)rear marking of a type specified in Part I of Section B of Schedule 19,with which the vehicle is required by these Regulations to be fitted; and
(b)every–
(i)stop lamp,
(ii)direction indicator,
(iii)running lamp,
(iv)dim-dip device,
(v)headlamp levelling device, and
(vi)hazard warning signal device,with which it is fitted.
(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply to–

(a)a rear fog lamp on a vehicle which is part of a combination of vehicles any part of which is not required by these Regulations to be fitted with a rear fog lamp;
(b)a rear fog lamp on a motor vehicle drawing a trailer;
©a defective lamp, reflector, dim-dip device or headlamp levelling device on a vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset, if any such lamp, reflector or device became defective during the journey which is in progress or if arrangements have been made to remedy the defect with all reasonable expedition; or
(d)a lamp, reflector, dim-dip device, headlamp levelling device or rear marking on a combat vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset.

There is neither a mention in the MOT testers manual nor as advised above in the list of required lights.

I’m afraid that Country boy has dug himself in to a hole in good faith and rather than stop digging, he is continuing to make the hole deeper.

Give up Countryboy!

Not being funny here but theres lots of cars with clear lens on the back and there certainly not all reverse lamps 

anyway thats not helping fitting a reverse light switch in a mx5 thats obviously a whole other problem 

Hardly gearbox out job to fit switch?? Ridicolous? if it is.Cut a hole in tunnel and reseal properly.Where is my holesaw…

This ‘if it’s fitted it must work’ is the great internet myth.  That’s because, as you say, they are not obligatory lights and also not part of the MOT.  You cannot get any sort of fine for non-working reversing lights as they are not obligatory.  Yes, rules apply to them if they are fitted, but they don’t have to work at any time.  As an aside, the same applies to fog lamps.

JS

I’m still not a lawyer, but I will cautiously correct that last sentence and say that whilst a reversing lamp if fitted DOES NOT have to work, a rear fog lamp DOES have to be “in good working order and…clean” because Section 23 of the Regulations explicitly says so (see post #12 above).

(I can’t see that part 3 of Section 23 overrides this for a lone MX-5 unless it is pulling a trailer).

OK, fair cop!  I meant front fog lights of course.

JS

Good recovery ??