NC Alarm problem

I had a moment this morning, I locked my 3.75 Sport Venture up at work to be told that my alarm was going off 5 minutes later so went to have a look.

Got outside and sure enough the alarm was going off so unlocked the car locked it back up and waited, about 60 seconds later it was going off again so opened it back up checked for windows being open  and made sure the roof was locked then locked it up and reset the alarm, 60 seconds later it went off again.

Back in the car and started the engine up to cycle the electrics as by this time I was getting annoyed, shut the engine off and reset the alarm waited and you guessed it 60 seconds later it went off.

I was just thinking of driving back home and leaving it there for the day unlocked when I remembered this forum and a post I had been reading some time ago, turns out I left my new Gen 2 phone in the centre console under the sliding door so I removed the phone and no more alarm issue.

Just got back home and put my phone back in the car locked it up and the alarm was going off so thanks to this forum for giving me the remedy for this and thought I would just let you all know in case it happens to you.

That’s what the forum is for.

Mine did the same and I found I was not alone on here :slight_smile:

If you stupidly need to leave your phone in the car you have two options turn the wifi and bluetooth off on your phone or disable the alarm after locking (the button next to the boot release) the indicstors will flash three times to show the alarm is disabled.

We have been discussing this problem here also,

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst83827_Alarm-going-of-on-mk3-caused-by-Ipad.aspx

it seems its an issue for quite a number of people.

Does it still happen if you lock your I-pad in the boot? I would imagine that it’s well screened there, and probably safer than carrying it ? or there’s always “Aircraft Mode” I suppose, would that stop it interfering with the alarm?

I think the stupid thing is the fact that it looks like the MX5 is the only car I have that does this

So I’m ‘stupid’ now, that explains a lot Wink

You’re not the only one, on a recent holiday to France I took my phone but for emergencies only, so I kept it locked in the central storage behind/between the seats. Needless to say the alarm was constantly going off  

When we arrived home Roadster Robbie put me wise. So it seems I am stupid as well

Not the only car my volvo had the same issue

Hi all

Slight change of tack - I am about to take delivery of a 2010 Sport Tech (3.5 or NC I think) and just wondered if the car has an alarm fitted as standard then? I know I will find out Monday when we get the car but if it has then the info on phones and alarms could be something to remember!

Great forum and thanks to all

(and if my car has an alarm I will try not to be “stupid” and leave my phone in the car lol)

I am pretty sure it will have an alarm, I have a sales brochure so will have a read later and let you know, I did a very stupid thing the other day and left my £20,000 car outside but at least I remembered to take my £200 phone out

Just checked the brochure and it says that the Thatcham cat 1 alarm and imobilise system is standard across the range for the mk3 , mk3.5 and the mk3.75 NC cars.

I have a Sport tech 3.5 . Yes there is an alarm in it. Although I always carry my mobile for emergency or booking a hotel etc, it’s usuallin front of gear lever or in centre console , I’ve never experienced it interfering with the alarm in over 4.5  years of use.

Mind you it’s quite an old mobile  5yrs old not a new fancy one. I only use it as a Phone It dose’nt surf the web or anything like that. I carry my tablet in the boot switched OFF.

Gales

More likely to break in and steal items in the car these day s thank to most modern security systems. Glass is an obvious target for that.

If they want the car they will break into the house or take it via OBD2 if they can…

Thanks all for those quick replies on the alarm front

Both I and my partner champing at the bit now to get the car - Monday seems so far away!

Enjoy!  I’ve been running a Stormy Blue 2.0 Sportech Roadster Coupe for the last 3 years & never regretted it for a moment.  Brilliant car, lots of fun but as my only vehicle it’s practical too. 

I believe “NC1” is the “Mk3”, “NC2” is the “Mk3.5” (2009 - 2012) & “NC3” is the “Mk3.75” (2013-present)

I have encountered this problem since buying my NC it’s a pain when you are just nipping in and out of places and have to keep taking your phones with you but at least it’s a simple fix.

BTW, my old phone which does NOT interfere with my car alarm is a NOKIA 2630, on checking, I found you can still buy refurbished models,
it’s nice and slim. I have a pay as y go vodafone SIM.I just use it for speech and text, that’s all. one charge lasts for a week approx.

With a tablet in the boot switched OFF , what more would you want?

Gales

If your phone has a wifi connection on it turn it off the problem you all experience is your phone’s wifi searching for networks and triggering the microwave sensor fitted to the 5’s alarm the old Nokia doesn’t have wifi hence no problem