NC BBR Exhaust Manifold

Hi All

Recently just had work carried out on my NC down at BBR. I took some pictures from under the bonnet straight after the work was completed.

One thing has occurred to me looking back at the photos is that the colour of the new exhaust manifold possibly looked a little more ‘used’ when I thought that brand new poloshed looking stainless steel pipes had just been installed based on image on website. I know the stainless pipes will change colour with heat but didn’t think it would be straight after the dyno run? Anyone else got pictures of new BBR exhaust manifold just after installation on an NC for comparison?

us that a catted or decatted manifold you had installed?

im currently saving for the 180 kit plus exhaust center section, hoping to be able to book towards the end of april.
when i do get it done i will take a bunch of pics and post them

Its with the cat. Yeah, if you could send pics that would be good.

Hi one pic before fitting and one taken today but fitted since September

Thanks. Mine seemed to look like your ones fitted since September after 8 or 9 miles. Just wondered if that was normal.

Considering the fast engine runs on the dyno after fitting, the colour will change rapidly with the heat generated. Nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks. I suspect you are right and I feel I should add that I am very pleased with the conversion from BBR - feel a bit guilty even questioning it on a forum if its completely normal. I just have no reference for how quickly they change colour so thought I’d check with others.

I’ve had numerous motorbikes from new and all of the ss downpipes have changed colour virtually immediately, and over a few miles the colour spreads further along the pipes.
They certainly get very hot, the downpipes on the rear cylinders of my aprilia V4 1100 glow red when the engine is worked hard :wink:. The fronts don’t, I guess as there’s more airflow (behind the radiator) there.
Nothing to be concerned about with yours.

My bbr185 is similar colour and yes exhaust manifolds do get hot so they will have some discolouration with use. The bbr system isn’t polished shiny anyway though

Just for nerdy interests sake, the momentary combustion temperature inside the cylinder of a petrol engine (diesel runs hotter) can reach 4000 degrees C for milliseconds, however a typical exhaust gas temperature as it leaves the head is c1000c. Very hot.
( Figures are from memory, many many years ago at uni so stand to be corrected :wink:)

in cylinder temperature yes, gasoline engines exhaust manifold temperature would be at around 250°C (270°C + if you are giving it some beans) at the exhaust port and obviously be decreasing as you go along the way of the manifold

Looking at the before and after it’s a brushed steel finish so it’s likely it will be a dull finish once heated up a few times. FYI I have the iL motorsport manifold which was polished or chromed. It’s now gone a lovely steel blue colour with age.