NC Central locking issue

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2007 NC.
  2. I’m based near: Cambridgeshire.
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: key fob central locking.

I bought my car with only one key. Took it to Timpsons to get a new FLIP OUT KEY cut and programmed, they got the key starting the car but had a nightmare getting the central locking to work with the key fobs and struggling to get the car into programming mode.

So now I am stuck in the position where they got the central locking working with the key fobs but it goes as follows:

Start the car with ORIGINAL key and drive, then when you stop and lock the car both keys DO NOT work.

Start the car with the NEW key and drive, then when you stop and lock the car both keys WORK but are intermittent.

The key batteries have been changed and they have tried reprogramming the central locking again but same results.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the issue?
Is it likely to be the door actuator?
Or is it the Body control Module?
Or have they damaged the key barrel?

Also if I get new ignition barrel and door locks with new keys, would this be like plug and play or would the new ignition need programming to the car?

If you are in the Boroughbridge area give this locksmith a ring. He knows his way around automotive ‘locking systems’ so may be able to assist.
ANDY THE BOROUGHBRIDGE LOCKSMITH - 07816219325 (andy-the-locksmith.uk)
:heart:

The locking/unlocking is it both sides work or don’t work? We’ve had members where it’s common for the drivers door lock actuator to fail first. Do both locks pop in and out when working or just the one side?
A failed or failing lock actuator can work intermittently for a while. Mine worked ok for another 6 months before then intermittently until it failed completely.

Both side door locks work when you use the key in the door and there doesn’t appear to be any sticking or not wanting to lock

Trying to eliminate a dead door lock actuator, do both doors lock/unlock from the fob at all?

Yeah they lock and unlock intermittently with both key fobs when I drive/start the car using the new key but if I drive using my old (original Mazda) key then neither key fobs work.

But if I put the key in the door and lock and unlock both doors do lock and unlock.

Found out what the issue was (sort of) and a work around!!! Whoooop!

So where Timpsons do not lubricate the ignition before they put the newly cut key in the ignition barrel they have worn or snapped one of the plastic pieces in the ignition barrel so that the ignition switch does not recognise when a key is in the ignition. This is why the vehicle will not go into programming mode.

The work around for if you need to programme a new key fob for the central locking is as follows:

On the bottom of the steering column plastics there are 3 screws, remove these and pull the plastic clovers off the top and bottom of the steering column.
Then un-clip the transponder receiver that is on the end of the ignition barrel where the key goes in, and move this out of the way. (This is the part that has Off, ACC written on it)
Next there is the part that is circled in the picture I have attached, leave the electrical plug plugged in but remove the part from the ignition system by pushing the clip on the top and a hidden one on the bottom and sliding it out.
Finally re-attach the transponder receiver, by just pushing it back on.

Now to programme the key fobs for central locking PUSH AND HOLD the white pin/button in on the end of the part you just removed (the on that was circled in picture) and follow the normal steps:

1. Open drivers door and leave open.
  2. Lock and Unlock drivers door using power door switch on door.
  3. Insert key into the ignition.
  4. Turn key to ON then OFF position. Do this 3 times in 10seconds.
    Leave key in the ignition in the LOCK (off) position.
  5. Close and open drivers door 3 times leaving the door open. (Instead of open/close door you can press the button on the door jam 3 times)
  6. Vehicle will respond by locking and unlocking door locks once.
  7. Press any button on remote two times.
    Vehicle will respond by locking and unlocking door locks once.
  8. For additional remotes repeat step 7 NOW for up to 3 remotes total.
  9. Remove key from ignition LET GO OF WHITE PIN/BUTTON and vehicle will respond by cycling locks
    automatically. Get out of car with keys and test remote(s).

Finally unplug the part you have been pressing and holding. Then you can either leave the part out and put the plastic covers back on and screws or put the part back in place (leaving it unplugged) and put all the plastic trims back on.

And voila your central locking should work for all keys.

Hopefully this works for someone else!

1 Like