NC Central locking problem

A couple of possible problems exist with all key fobs, and mostly to do with batteries…

If the fob has not been used for a few months the contacts to the battery can tarnish.
Operation of squeezing a button produces the tiniest wipe of the fingers as the case flexes slightly. The wipe maintains connection.
If the tarnish is thin a few presses might restore operation.

Also some makes of battery use a glossy shiny metal outer that does not make good contact with socket contact metals! Wrong chrome alloy or something, maybe a chemist or metallurgist can give a proper answer.

However, a squirt of Servisol Super 10 onto a tissue/kitchen-roll etc which is then gently wiped across the contact fingers and also the battery case seems to make all the difference.
So far (touch wood) it has always restored recalcitrant fobs, providing a flat fob battery was not the problem.

One other thing to be aware of, an old-stock “new battery” might have enough volts but it might also lack sufficient “cranking” current to power the fob.
Always check expiry dates!
If in doubt, quickly dab a torch bulb across the battery and see if it produces a glimmer, if so then it’s probably OK.

I forget what the rated Short-Circuit current is for our fob batteries, but I expect 50mA will be ample when tested on the 1Amp range of most multi-meters. 1mA or less is definitely dead. I’m out of stock of any batteries right now so cannot do a test.
Maybe someone can do a quick dab-test with a meter on a new button cell battery and report the result.

Your last para sound helpful Richards - I think you’re saying that volts might read OK but still not enough grunt to throw the solenoid - please xplain further how I mighht check this with a meter, thanks

All batteries have a natural internal impedance because of their construction which limits the maximum current they can produce into a short circuit.

A big car battery can produce thousands of Amps and maybe even an explosion. Don’t try this!!!

A button cell for a key fob will be just a few milliamps, which can be easily measured by the multimeter when that is switched from Volts to Amps.

At the back of a drawer I’ve found an unused sealed 1620 made in 2019 expires in 2029 and it is happy to produce 140mA on the 2Amp range of my little old multimeter. The pair of test leads are 0.5 Ohms, therefore the internal resistance of that battery is about 20 Ohms.

According to the Wiki a 1620 button cell (for an NC fob) is expected to produce up to about 100mA and has a capacity of 75-78mAh.

So if you add up all the very short (say) one second pulses of (say) 10mA from each button push you get about 450 minutes total use. A lot of presses.

1 Like