NC centre console disassembly

After getting the centre console lid stuck for the umpteenth time on my NC due to an item jamming it I was wondering if I could remove the enormous latching mechanism (which is the culprit) and replace this with 2 pairs of small neodymium magnets recessed into the front of the lid and in the static part.
I’ve seen a couple of links to disassembly instructions but cannot access them; I am a full member.

I don’t want to go the MX5Parts replacment console route but if the latch could be removed this would give a fair bit more usability in that compartment.

Can anyone point me to a live link for Mk3 centre console removal?

Easiest thing to do, YouTube, “mazda mx5 mk3 center console removal” , first video that comes up, American guy but very good video, takes about 5 minutes to take out. Easy once you’ve done it. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Gah! - Forgot about YouTube.

Thanks.

I’ve got it down to about 4 mins.:thinking::grin: But then add 5 mins fiddling with that window switch leccy connection.:dizzy_face:

4 Likes

Thanks Mick.

Do you think that what I’m proposing - remove catch by whatever means necessary and replace with a magnetic closure - is a viable option? I’ve got to get in there to grease my turret* anyway so I’ll get geared up for that and make an afternoon of it :grinning:

• “Grease my turret” and "seal my scuttle grommets’ are two phrases I could never imagine myself using, until I became an MX-5 owner.
2 Likes

NC1 or NC2?

2006, so NC1.

I’ve got the NC1 and the converted centre console, the catch if you can call it that is all moulded into the lid and console cubby. I suppose it could be shaved off? The lid actually slides and sort of clips closed, it’s the design of it that sort of closes and clicks it shut rather than the latch holding it if you follow.

1 Like

Thanks Mick.
I’ll get in there and have a look myself, probably next week if the weather’s not too bad.
Turret oil as well.

Yep grease your ball, top up your turret and adjust your nuts​:grin::thinking: in the adjuster at the clutch pedal. :smile:Worth doing if you have to bury the pedal into the mat to get a smooth change.

2 Likes

Done the clutch adjustment already.
Definitely worthwhile.

1 Like