NC - courtesy light inside the boot?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ NC
  2. I’m based near: __ Manchestger
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ Courtesy light inside the boot

Should my MX5 NC have a courtesy light inside the boot?

Now we’re into the dark nights, I’ve noticed if I open the boot to put something into the boot, there’s no courtesy light in the boot.

Is that a design thing? Or has there been one in the past and someone has disconnected it? (I do have a “dangling free” power socket in the boot, and I’ve been wondering for a while what that might once have been connected to)

I’ve only had the car since the summer, so new to the joys of MX5’s on dark winters nights!

Many thanks

Nick

There should be a courtesy light yes. From memory it should be to the passenger side of the boot lock.

Thanks Robbie. I’ll take a closer look. And perhaps post a photo of the “what’s that connector doing dangling loose and unused?” item

It’s shown in section 6 of the Owner’s Manual.

It’s on the left rear as you open the boot.
It also has a switch in it too.
That may have been turned off or the bulb blown.
An LED bulb is much better in my opinion. :+1:

Aha! Found it! :rofl:

Thank you, @Scarletpimpernel – and your suspicion was correct. It was sat there all along, with the switch set to the OFF position. Doh!

Problem solved. I do love this forum, and the spirit of helpfulness that we all share here!

Nick

3 Likes

And having found where the courtesy light in the boot lurks…

Do I have particularly fat, clumsy fingers? Or is changing the bulb a fiddly operation?

Managed to get the old bulb out. But darned if I can coax the new bulb into place! It keeps dropping out all over the place. Sigh … :slight_smile:

:joy::joy::joy:
Are you really sure you are putting the same size bulb back in?
Should be quite easy to be honest.
Just took mine out to show you (hopefully). :wink::+1:

As mentioned above, check you have the right size bulb lengthwise.

There are lots claiming to fit, as I found out recently!

Getting the old bulb out is the hardest part; but looping the off-cut from an old cable-tie around it helps with pulling it out.

Definitely a case of “Nick has fat clumsy fingers”. Mine looks exactly like that @Scarletpimpernel I got the old bulb out with no trouble @RichardFX , but darned if I can get the new bulb into place. I’ll try again in the morning!

Have a scotch, :tumbler_glass: you will feel better tomorrow. :wink::+1:

I used a similar LED bulb, 31mm long tip to tip.

Hook one tip first into the little hole in the springy brass strip moved by the switch;
push that spring back towards the switch to allow space for the other end to find its little hole in the fixed contact.