NC door interchangeability

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC 3.5.
  2. I’m based near: __Rugeley, Staffordshire.
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Doors.

Hi all,

A lowlife has significantly damaged the o/s door of my 2010 3.5 PRHT MX5 while it was parked. I am gutted, because before this piece of excrement did this and then slithered away, the car was virtually unmarked.

It is is not minor damage, it really is well clouted.

So, I’ve been to see a well regarded & well recommended local body repair man, and his recommendation is that the damage is such that the best course of action to buy a good used door, paint as necessary and fit that.

So, my questions are, are the doors on a roadster the same as a PRHT? and are NC3, 3.5 and 3.75 the same please? I appreciate that the door cards on a NC3 are different to and NC3.5, but we will be re-using my existing door card.

Thank you, Brian.

Hi Brian

All doors are the same for both roadster and PRHT although I believe that the door card clip holes do differ between the nc3 and the nc3.5/3.75 due to the chance in door card design. I recently had the same problem as yourself when a dozy female hit my door and I was very lucky to find a perfect used one in the correct colour only 30 miles away from me. It’s a very easy job to swap over the only problem I had was it was a bare door so I had to transfer all the locks, window mechanism and wiring loom over from my damaged door. The loom was the difficult bit as its attached to the front inner section of the door with a white plastic clip arrangement that isnt designed to be removed once inserted into the door, I had to carefully cut around it in the damaged door with and angle grinder to remove it. The whole operation of removing the damaged door and replacing with new took me about 3 hours with coffee breaks.

1 Like

Oh forgot to mention doors are heavy and backward so assistance to remove and refit is required…good luck

1 Like

Thank you Spelio, that answers my question completely! I am grateful for that. Up until now I had planned to get a door of any colour and get the body man to paint it and swap all the fittings over. But you have made me think about it; I can still drive the car so I might hang on a bit and see if I can get one in the same colour and swap it myself with the help of my son.

My car is Copper Red Mica though, not perhaps the most common colour but I’ll have a more selective trawl round and see what I can find.

Thank you :+1:t2:
Brian.

Contact pm sport cars at Shardlow Derbyshire they break mx5 give them a ring if you are still looking for them numbers on google.

Thank you very much - coincidentally I found a door in really good condition, and not far from where I live, this afternoon!

But thank you for thinking of my need for a door.

Regards, Brian.