NC Double Din Head Unit recommendations with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ NC 2.0 Sport with Bose
  2. I’m based near: __ North Essex
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ Replacement Head Unit

I’m looking at replacing my Bose head unit with a Double Din model that offers both AndroidAuto and Apple CarPlay - any reccomdations?

Pioneer FH-X840DAB - cost me £250 installed.

It’s an “old school” facia - not touch-screen, but you can change the colour of the LEDs. I can Bluetooth my phone for music and calls, play CDs and Spotify and there’s also a hardwire connection

Kenwood Car Audio DMX8019DABS. Fitted a couple of weeks ago.
Agreed, not the cheapest but a very good unit in my opinion.
PS it’s wifi connected, so no hassle with usb cables.
I think with the Bose setup you just need a different wiring harness perhaps?

Advise staying away from the Sony ones - I have their CarPlay dab head unit (currently £399 on halfords), the screen brightness is awful and the CarPlay connection is appalling - half the time mine just freezes or crashes and becomes unusable!

@Scarletpimpernel - Which fascia did you buy, and doesn’t it match/fit the car well?

1 Like

Connects2 Facia CT24MZ20. A perfect fit and match. As said you may need a slightly different one because of Bose? MickAP I believe had Bose and upgraded his.(might be wrong on the Bose front).
Put a reverse camera in whilst was all apart. :+1:

2 Likes

No Bose here😁

I went for the JVC unit, something like kw-m745dbt. They have brought out an updated version (as they do) and the price has increased of course. I paid sub £300 about 15 months ago.
I like the shorter chassis on mine, makes for easier fitting with all the extra wires/connections that’s needed to cram in behind.
No CD but does just about everything else very well.

2 Likes

Likewise, no CD, but the Apple CarPlay takes good care of that.
How did you put that Mazda Logo on in the back ground? (Haven’t ventured that far with all the different menu’s to look at).

Just a Google search brings up many, just copy of course to computer :thinking:

I then loaded it on to a USB drive and applied it on to the units splash screen.
It should be in the settings or ‘how to’ in the manual that came with your unit.
I wanted a red logo but there wasn’t anything that looked decent on the unit. You can also upload a picture to the screen too, I’ve not got around to sorting that out yet.
I also thought about adding a rear view camera as your unit shows, maybe a little overkill for my car because I already have rear parking sensors.

Ahh, thanks for the info.
Never over kill and it’s a bit of fun.
Just happen to have a Brand New Road Angel RA8100 Reversing Camera if interested.

Thanks for the offer, I’m sticking with just the reverse sensors.:+1:

2 Likes

Just to follow up on my post about the Sony head unit - I’ve now had to return it to Halfords as it just got worse and worse - strongly advise avoiding that one as reliability problems aside, the screen is not very responsive & is slow, the general software quality is basic and the screen is pretty much invisible with the roof off.

I’ve now exchanged it for a Pioneer Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB | Halfords UK and I have to say it’s infinitely better than the Sony - everything that was bad about the sony is good about the Pioneer so from my experience I’d recommend that unit.

2 Likes