Nc duratec engines - would other owners call them 'harsh'

Hi Dean, I don’t think anything that you’ve noted there are unusual or out of the ordinary. I’d problem term them as NC ‘characteristics’ :slight_smile:

I’m more amazed that you’ve only done about 700 miles in the thing! Plan a trip up north, put a few miles on and we can compare notes :wink:

Cheers,
Steve

1 Like

Hi Dean, we have the same car, the engine is revvy but I find it responsive but nothing untoward in “connectivity”. Ive just added Superchip
ECU, which has improved it slightly, its was on offer so a quick and cheap opportunity to try!
I am interested in the anti roll bars and links, coilovers you’ve fitted ? my next step, so what type if can ask please? what was the road feel at normal to there change when fitted?

Thanks
Phill

Had so much on and the weather has been absolute pants. I’m hoping now the good weather is here I’ll be using it almost daily :+1:

1 Like

The road feel and handling is great, I’ve no complaints on that front. I used tein coilovers, il MotorSport roll bars and new wheels with eagle f1 215 tyres. The brands used are hotly debated and I believe meister r and eibach bars are the favourites in the community but I’m more than happy with these.

Hi that’s great thanks , that is my choice in thinking about it.
Last question sorry , prior to the change , did the front end feel vague and almost can I say “floaty” certainly over 50/60 as that’s what it feels like.
Ps it’s all been checked over and all is good, has standard sport bilsteins and only done 38k in a 13 Plate.
Many thanks

I can only speak for myself and my car, I’ve only had it since spetember last year but the front end didn’t feel vague at all. The suspension was pretty decent as standard but a little too wallowy for my liking. Comfortable but designed to make everyone happy I’d say. Also the lowered stance and adjustable damping means less dive when you’re hard on the brakes, not that it was excessive before.

That’s great thank you
All the best
Phill

My experience
Engine, its got enough power. Mine us a 2L nc3.5 with a bbr tune bbr manifold with sports cat midpipe and gt rear exhaust) ~ 190 bhp 160 lb ft
Power delivery is linear and loves revivng and using the box. Torque is also smooth with max at 4.5k i think. Its not got massive amount of power but its enough and perfectly matching the mx5 character

Chassis… well with a bit of know how with that engine you can be on par with much faster cars in the corners

Honestly use the thing. Its a brilliant car to drive

1 Like

I can’t wait to get out and get some real time behind the wheel. You’re right, it’s plenty nippy power wise once it’s away but I am really missing the point to point acceleration - the gearing I find is great and it actually makes it feel more torquey than it probably is, but it’s the first sub 300hp car I’ve had in probably 20 years apart from the dailies.

get out drive it and learn how to use the car. You will learn loads managing the power you already have. That in itself is extremely rewarding. plus it was plenty of power in comparison. it was only the vvt engine in the mark 2 that had 150 bhp the rest of the earlier ones (and unless turboed or engine swapped) had far less.

These cars are not very refined and it’s not a great engine in that respect (rather harsh). Other aspects of the car more than make up for it though!

I’ve had good results with smooth running from using Castrol Edge Titanium 5-30w but I don’t find the engine harsh. Might be worth getting in touch with another ,local to you Owners club member and sit in with them and visa versa to see if your’s is typical.

I feel like I should clarify, the engine is sweet as a nut, it’s more the nvh on the car that gets fed through to the driver. Unrefined is a phrase I’d agree with that was posted previously :+1: