NC ECU tuning

I’m exploring tune options for a 2010 NC MK3.5. Has anyone had experience with an ecu tune?

I wonder if the BBR time is a canned/off the shelf tune or is is a custom tune? I have not yet had confirmation from BBR but by the small claims I doubt it is custom. Is it tuned with a certain RON fuel in mind?

I’ve noticed versatuner offer an alternative to ecutek, fab9 are one tuner who offer this which they claim 14-19whp which seems a fair bit higher than UK tuners.

Maybe there is a difference in engine hardware but as the UK version has lower power to start with 158 Vs 167 I would have though we would see equal or larger gains.

A custom tune implies your vehicle is tuned while all inputs and outputs are measured. This means hours on a dyno to tweak your individual car.

Not many people do this, not unless they have made changes that mean the car needs a unique tune (such as custom intakes, forced induction, free flow exhausts, etc).

So the one you have linked is by definition an off the shelf plug and play pre-canned tune based on a common standard that should produce predictable and consistent results.

I can think of better ways to spend £600, but that’s a purely personal opinion.

1 Like

Hi, I have a MK3.75, and am also considering power upgrade at BBR. I will probably get around to this next year, as this year I want to replace the sat nav, and the finance director at home (aka the wife) will limit the budget to be spent on the car… My understanding is that first you should only engage with a reputable supplier. The ECU uses look up tables from many tens of engine instruments to adjust fuel injection etc, it really is the brain of the car and you should be careful whom you entrust brain surgery to. Secondly, whilst a ECU remap will gain you some power, you need to get more airflow through the engine. So to get the best benefit its worth considering changing at least the exhaust manifold over to a 421 type. I personally wouldn’t go to camshaft replacement as I’m nervous about making too many changes that might get you some additional power at the expense of greaer engine wear etc.

There is a lot of BS about BHP figures. It depends on the rolling road that is used. The only useful figures are before and after. I had mine done at http://autotronixdevelopments.co.uk/
He tunes the race cars. The rolling road he has shows lower figures than some people expect after going to other tuners

Full benefit as said above only realised with a good 4-1 catless manifold. The ecutek option seems to be the most developed. Some of those gains achieved through timing advance based on the use of super unleaded. No point in a remap only and trying to use normal unleaded. Autotronix, Blink Motorsports, BBR and Corten-Miller are all regular suppliers depending on where you are located.

I second richardn’s & mk375’s comments. Clive at Autotronix does first class work, Clive does the ECU work on MK3’s for Roddisons Motorsport. If you plan to go the 4 branch, 200 cell cat right through to the back box then you can be sure of an excellent service & results using Roddisons & Autotronix.

1 Like

Did you ever try the VersaTuner package, for less than $300 it looks like a simple solution if you want to do some mild changes and improve the throttle response?

Mapping needs to be done on a rolling road to make the best of it.

1 Like

It looks like there are a load of pre defined maps you can simply flash in and out in 2 mins, including a hooligan shot gun exhaust popping one (which personally aint for me!). £500 is the next best quote, and I have to go and get it done, this option seems so cheap and convenient, and allows you to change your mind and put it back to stock if you want in mins.

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum had tried it ?

Without accompanying mods theres very little to gain, perhaps 5 or so hp. With catless manifold maybe 20. This package would appeal to those experimenting with different combos of mods who have the time to do multiple datalogging runs and refine a custom tune to develop a specific car.

I have purchased Versatune from Fab9, I’m still waiting for my custom tune so in the meantime I have flashed the Versatune NC2 base tune for 97ron fuel. It has given a noticeable increase in throttle response but not a huge gain. The free versatuner tunes are quite mild, they say themselves that 3rd parties provide much more aggressive tunes such as Fab9. You can get the £35ish OBDLink SX cable from the UK to reduce delays/customers charges.

Have you seen the bolt on Throttle Controllers ? - if you just want a better throttle map I suppose this is all you need, and probably makes the biggest difference in making the car feel more lively in daily non track use… http://www.roadster.blog/2013/09/electronic-throttle-controllers.html

£100 probably better than just getting a few more hp and ibs of torque from a ecu reflash.

I’m getting a custom tune from fab9 because I am fitting a 4-1 manifold next week and will need a remap to suit, for less than £200 it appeared a better price point than ecutek on a 10+ year old NC2.

You are getting what you pay for!
My map is tuned by a professional to match my engine and set up. I am paying for his skill and experience.
Genetic maps do not take in any engine differences, or differences in the parts fitted. They are taking a best guess, not got good enough for my car.

You pay the money and take your choice

How long did this process take please? Did you see it happen or were you just given the car back along with the dyno sheet and the bill.

saw it happen and have dyno sheets, it took about an hour on the rolling road, Autotronix Developments are good guys. Clive knows what he’s doing

Yes agreed, Clive has a very good reputation for tuning the NC. When getting an ecu tune there are two main points to consider:

• The reputation of the tuner, track record and feedback from other customers etc

• Tools to be used for tune, Ecutek, Versatune, MazdaEdit are the main 3 for Mazda vehicles.

As mentioned in the thread above, a custom tune is most appropriate when other mechanical changes are made. Though some packages such as BBR185 will provide a base map along with their manifold.
The custom tune applied to a known base tune normally is just a “touch-up” based on the logs taken from the vehicle, as each car will vary slightly.

Some tuners will offer they tunes through various tool platforms, i.e. Fab9tuning offer through Ecutek and Versatune and as far as I know:
Dynotronics offer Ecutek, Mazdaedit
BBR offer Ecutek and Mazdaedit
Autotronix - Ecutek

Depending on your requirements, the choice of platform will influence the overall cost. For just a manifold or basic bolt-ons, personally I could see little benefit of the Ecutek racerom features and difficulty with returning the factory ROM image
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=695274

I have the Open Flash Performance remap on my NC. Also previously had one on my M5 so I was confident with that specific tuner, could apply it myself using the tablet (Alientech3 I think) and also they gave me the XML so I could look at it using ROM Raider and make adjustments if it needs it myself.

1 Like

Today’s result; healthy but not spectacular which is what I expected from a stock intake and exhaust.

Where can you get that cable? What are the total costs of getting it done by Fab9? The costs in the webshop + cable?