NC Engine light on P2009 being thrown

Brought my NC Launch Edition over the weekend and have done less than 200 miles since picking it up managed the 100 miles motor way journey with no issues but taking it to a from work, a few twisty b roads and a dual carriage way and on the way home each day the engine light has come on, on checking it seems that a p2009 is being picked up by my OBD II reader.

The first time it came on i had just pulled away from breaking fairly hard and the second time I was driving along at 40 in 6th.

Is this a safe code to drive on and what could i do to resolve any further issues and fix this one?

https://www.troublecodes.net/p2codes/p2009/

1 Like

I think this could be the tumble solenoid valve playing up. It’s in the intake manifold…

" 2008 MX5 Fault code P2009: Variable tumble solenoid valve circuit low input.
The PCM monitors variable tumble solenoid valve control signal. If the PCM turns variable tumble solenoid valve off but voltage still remains low, the PCM determines that variable tumble solenoid valve circuit has a malfunction."

1 Like

Hey, I’ve now been given this code too and keeps coming back after resetting. Fully serviced it given new spark plugs the lot. Seems to drive fine. Any idea what the fix is? Only owned my mx5 for 2 weeks.

I don’t think changing the plugs or normal service items will cure many of the fault codes thrown up by the PCM. The diagnosis and solutions to your problem are shown in the link earlier in this thread. https://www.troublecodes.net/p2codes/p2009/’ , it’s worth buying yourself a cheap multimeter rather than trusting the fault finding to a garage who will inevitably charge you for hours of labour at an extortionate rate and maybe not finding the cause of the code. Don’t go down the road of changing parts until you know exactly where the problem is, you just waste time and money.

2 Likes

Thanks alben. I have a friend who let me (for free) do a component test and all valves were clicking apart from intake valve 1 which suggests to me its failed. Just trying to source the part. Just be time consuming.

1 Like