NC headlamp polish

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2014 NC
  2. I’m based near: High Wycombe
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Nothing, just offering my experience

My headlamps are a little cloudy, and having read others experiences I decided to give self-restoration a go, using the Holt Headlight Restoration Kit (£14 on Amazon) and my battery powered hand-drill on ‘slow’. The following sequence shows progress from start to finish. The first couple of images illustrate the ‘before’, then there’s one for each stage of polishing including after the protective lacquer and removal of the masking tape/paper.

Before:
IMG_1189

Before close up:
IMG_1190

After 800 grit wet sanding. Scary!
IMG_1191

After 1000 grit:
IMG_1192

After 1500 grit:
IMG_1193

After 3000 grit (phew!):
IMG_1194

After the abrasive polish/soft sponge:
IMG_1195

Cleaned up, lacquered and buffed:
IMG_1196

After the masking materials removed; the finished article
IMG_1197

It’s not perfect, but pretty good and definitely a lot better than before. I’ll do the other side in a few days, but take much longer over it and see if I can get it even better still. If so, then go back and re-do the first one. This isn’t a difficult job - just takes time (about an hour for this one lamp) and belief…

3 Likes

Good result. If you haven’t already done so, I wouldn’t bother with the lacquer, it’ll start going funny in about 18 mths.

After I’d scraped the lacquer off, I applied some Meguirs PlastX plastic polish and they’re crystal clear for about 4 mths. They need redoing but it only takes 5 mins either side.

2 Likes