NC headlight levelling motor/s

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC
  2. I’m based near: __Grimsby
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __headlight levelling.

Hi everyone, my NC has just failed MOT with a non levelling near side headlamp, Driver side perfect.
Luckily the engineer who will be working on it has a Mk2 so will know his way around. He is unsure whether it is the motor or simply a bad connection but will have a look and let me know.
Scarey thing for me is I understand NC motors are no longer made?
Can anyone tell me if there are two motors left and right, or just a universal motor that fits both sides.
I’ve located one in UK that says right side, but some on the continent that insist one motor fits both sides.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you can tell me where the motors are located I will have a look on ours if it helps.

Motors are on the back of the headlights.

You can see it in this picture inside the small white cage

There are a few listings for aftermarket headlight adjustment motors

https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts-catalog/headlight-range-adjustment-10379/mazda/mx-5/mx-5-iii-nc/18887-2-0-nc18

Unlikely to be ‘handed’ . Going by the Autodoc ad, is it just later NC models affected?

Thanks for that, I have located the white plastic cage affair. Not sure I know what I am checking to see if they are “handed” though!

Looking at other pics - I would say it is NOT handed.

Left Headlight
Left Headlight

Right Headlight

It’s just an alteration in the the up/down axis so no need to be a difference between left and right headlamps. Feel your pain though: seeing in front of you is getting seriously complicated/expensive.

At least we can change bulbs in our MX5 headlights.

Many of the modern led headlights are fully sealed units.
Guy next door has just paid £600+ to change a faulty led headlight on his car.

And this is supposed to be progress huh? I remember the old Mini had sealed beam units. They weren’t £600 though!

But did sealed beams actually light up the road ahead? People moan that normal halogen bulbs, factory fitted to NC for example, apparently aren’t good enough. Aren’t we a fickle bunch? :wink: “Is it really us?”

1 Like

Except that on the NC you either need to have the hands of a three year old, or you need to dismantle a large chunk of the front end of the car to do it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just found my NS motor has failed and want to avoid paying over £260 for a new unit which being a little OCD would mean buying a pair as I couldnt have one new and one old headlight…

OP @noimetoulouse did you manage to replace the motor?